• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COA Holder

11 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a 2019 S Enhanced Reverse Proof Silver Eagle which was graded by NGC.  The coin came with a numbered COA, but it wasn't put in a plastic holder like some of the others I have seen on line.  I looked at the services offered by NGC regarding holders but I didn't see anything listed that would apply to this situation.  This could possibly be because the US Mint doesn't usually include COA's with their coins.  Will NGC encapsulate my COA after it was shipped out with the coin to the original buyer?  I've only been in the hobby for 5 years and this is the first coin I've bought that has a COA included with it.  I just joined the forum and this is my first post.

This could possibly be because the US Mint doesn't usually include COA's with their coins

The mint does add a coa with most of it's proofs and proof sets it's all part of the mint packaging as far as I know 

If the bullion was graded by ngc that in itself is an accepted coa by most bullion collectors 

Will NGC encapsulate my COA after it was shipped out with the coin to the original buyer?

im not sure I understand this you would like your coin and coa encapsuled together 

ngc might offer this service if you resubmit your bullion and coa but I'm not sure it would warrant the cost to do so 

• Submit this coin under the Modern grading tier or higher.
  • All coins submitted must be graded.
  • If you would like Mint packaging returned, select the “Return Mint Packaging” box on the NGC Submission Form. The fee is $5 plus the cost of shipping.
  • If you would like the COA number included on the NGC label, write “Add COA Number” on the NGC Submission Form. The coin must be submitted in the sealed US Mint shipping box to have the COA number added to the label. The fee is $5 per coin.
  • To have the COA encapsulated, write “Holder COA” on the NGC Submission Form. The fee for this is $10 per certificate.

I suspect they won't encapsulate the certificate by itself, and even if they did, unless the certificate number is already also included on the slab label it doesn't mean anything because there is no way to prove the certificate belongs to that coin.

I did see them encapsuled separate but I think that had to be done in the first submission if you have a hand signed coa and grade 70 it might be worth asking ngc if like conder says both number match I've been watching these awhile good looking bullion but not seeing a price difference in a slabbed coa 

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I suspect they won't encapsulate the certificate by itself, and even if they did, unless the certificate number is already also included on the slab label it doesn't mean anything because there is no way to prove the certificate belongs to that coin.

The COA is included on the slab.

3 hours ago, B.C said:

I did see them encapsuled separate but I think that had to be done in the first submission if you have a hand signed coa and grade 70 it might be worth asking ngc if like conder says both number match I've been watching these awhile good looking bullion but not seeing a price difference in a slabbed coa 

Thanks for the reply BC.  It's not hand signed by the current engraver, but it has the Mercanti label and is a 70.

The person that submitted the coin to NGC didn't ask NGC to holder the COA at the time of submission, they may have not considered it important enough to do.  I don't know if NGC will holder the COA after the fact or not, I suggest that you call customer service and see if that can be done.  You can also ask this question in the "ask NGC/NCS" section of this forum, I would suggest you post clear photos of the slab and COA if you do decide to ask in that area.  

I had 2 coins graded which I don't feel the grading was fair ngc should explain why coin was given this grade there should be a scale to show why this coin was given a low or high grade this is only fair after paying so much money they just leave you in wonder no explanation coin grading is leaving a bad taste in my mouth this hobby is not for me sorry to vent 

Seems like I seen something a while back where the only way they would encapsulate the COA on those is you had to submit it in the unopened original government box. And if if had one hand signed they would encapsulate it if you wanted.