• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fair price for this Morgan?

8 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1896-O-Morgan-1-Key-Date-PCGS-MS61-VAM-13-Stunning-PQ-Mint-Luster-Bright-White/264651846165?hash=item3d9e7ab215:g:aHcAAOSwGDJeRfQL

Hi :)  First post from a new member.  I've only been collecting for under a year.  I'm looking to upgrade my AU55 and am hoping for a couple opinions about this coin listed on Ebay.   What do you think of the $1300 price (assuming no bids)?  Also, I don't collect or know much about VAMs and I don't know how this particular variety is affecting the price versus if it was not VAM specified.  Thank you for your help,  Jim

The last several that came thru auctions averaged between $1200 and $1400, not accounting for the VAM, with a couple of outliers on each side of the sales spectrum.  As this seller is right in the middle of those results I will guess that the VAM is not much of a value adding item but I'm not a VAM guy so don't take that to the bank.  As to the coin it's not too badly marked or beat up for the grade but the luster looks subdued in the auction pics, maybe too many times thru the dip jar which may have resulted in a silent net grade.  If I were interested I'd make an offer of say $1150 and see what the seller says, the coin looks low end for the grade (imo) from the photos and at any price over $1200 I would look for a coin with better luster and skin.

This might not be a very constructive opinion, but I would avoid the purchase altogether based on the photos uploaded, light and everything really. It's a +$1000 coin, so maybe wait for something better.

I don't think you will be pleased when you receive it : ) 

Perhaps it's better to get this date when you can see HQ photos uploaded, PCGS' TrueView, or NGC's PhotoVision (Which no one uses, and where PCGS excels).  

However, the seller offers 30 day returns, and so the only damage is return shipping.

Good Luck.

Edited by Voltyris

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1896-O-Morgan-1-Key-Date-PCGS-MS61-VAM-13-Stunning-PQ-Mint-Luster-Bright-White/264651846165?hash=item3d9e7ab215:g:aHcAAOSwGDJeRfQL

Hi :)  First post from a new member.  I've only been collecting for under a year.  I'm looking to upgrade my AU55 and am hoping for a couple opinions about this coin listed on Ebay.   What do you think of the $1300 price (assuming no bids)?  Also, I don't collect or know much about VAMs and I don't know how this particular variety is affecting the price versus if it was not VAM specified.  Thank you for your help,  Jim

MS60 money for an MS61 coin 

I think you can do better $ and with a better looking specimen

The VAM adds no premium 

Edited by jgrinz

I don't think this coin should straight grade. Most other 96-O Morgans are heavily marked and many are sliders with some rub. I think this one had a baking soda scrub to make a little rub blend with rest of the surfaces.