• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991 nickel mirror anyone
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, aren't you the face value of them all. Ahahahah you can almost see your own reflection in this coin. I think someone needed this so they can see to shave or pop a nasty pimple. Lol. I told you a coin could be a couple of cents over face value. There's always a reason for somebody needing a coin. Ahahahah. :tonofbricks:

20200301_144023.jpg

20200301_144005.jpg

6 hours ago, Kirt said:

Ok, that's new!

Awful, but new.

But that's mirror like proof. Ahahahah. Must be the wrong type of proof like. :makepoint:

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

But that's mirror like proof. Ahahahah. Must be the wrong type of proof like. :makepoint:

No no no, you've got it all wrong! Don't spend it, really polish that sucker. Now's the time to do all that stuff you should NEVER do to coins...toothpaste, baking soda, polishing cloths, felt-tip Dremel! I bet with a little work, you'd be able to get most of those circular marks off poor old TJ's face and make it really mirrored. It's already a conversation piece so why not make it even better? You can even take care of that green on the reverse and practice proper conservation too.

Edited by Kirt

On 3/4/2020 at 12:46 PM, Kirt said:

Polishing zinc should be an interesting experience. Try not to breathe! 

Hey, I thought zinc can shorten the duration and severity of a cold. No?

42 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Hey, I thought zinc can shorten the duration and severity of a cold. No?

So says the internet. I'm still waiting for the peer-reviewed study.

Zinc oxide powder (like you'd get from polishing a corroded Zincoln) is not fun stuff. Ingesting it isn't particularly harmful although I wouldn't imagine it does you any good; but inhaling it is a horse of a different color. Causes major airway and eye irritation, shortness of breath, and the inevitable coughing fits trying to mechanically clear it from the lungs can induce vomiting. Fun times.

Work around marine zincs for any period of time, you quickly learn to remove them only when wet, not to strike them with mallets, and not to heat them to dislodge them. 

6 minutes ago, Kirt said:

So says the internet. I'm still waiting for the peer-reviewed study.

Zinc oxide powder (like you'd get from polishing a corroded Zincoln) is not fun stuff. Ingesting it isn't particularly harmful although I wouldn't imagine it does you any good; but inhaling it is a horse of a different color. Causes major airway and eye irritation, shortness of breath, and the inevitable coughing fits trying to mechanically clear it from the lungs can induce vomiting. Fun times.

Work around marine zincs for any period of time, you quickly learn to remove them only when wet, not to strike them with mallets, and not to heat them to dislodge them. 

Is a "peer" someone who pees? Or is that "pee-er"? (or, without the hyphen: peeer?)

The only thing I know about zincs is from a Tom Clancy novel, but aren't they used to protect metal things like propellers on a boat?

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Is a "peer" someone who pees? Or is that "pee-er"? (or, without the hyphen: peeer?)

The only thing I know about zincs is from a Tom Clancy novel, but aren't they used to protect metal things like propellers on a boat?

:signfunny: We could make it even more confusing in that in these cases, you're absolutely right, the peer would be examining the situation from a pier as they are sacrificial anodes to protect other metal from corrosion in marine environments. In my case, docks and boats. Basically solid lump of zinc + salt water + electric current = zinc hydroxide plus a little bit of heat plus some free chlorine. As they dry it becomes zinc oxide. Right is new, left is what I was replacing every spring on at least 2-3 dozen boats

Edited by Kirt