• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 penny large and small date help
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I know there are several varieties on these 1982 pennies but I’m giving myself a headache thinking too much. Can someone help me identify the large and small dates? If I’m correct I think the top two are the large date bronze and the bottom picture is the small date zinc. The weights are written in the pictures. As always any help is appreciated. 

17F79AD2-101D-4620-8151-B5907D7090CE.jpeg

0BAE019C-403C-417C-B6DA-E01D2B2A0272.jpeg

1DE00246-8675-4A2C-8891-2CB0D87611F8.jpeg

It is the 1982 D Small Date copper cent that is the valuable one and yes, the mm have something to do with the variety.

The zinc cent is worth what it says on the reverse.

1. I've read the 1982 p small date bronze is hard to find in higher grades.  First is prior statement true and and what grade should a novice collector such as myself start to entertain the thought of having one graded... If at all? If any seasoned collector has the time to take a glance at mine just to let me know what they would grade it at it would be very much appreciated.  I just want to see how far off I am with my conclusions... Or should I say hypothesis?  LoL. I've been collecting Lincoln cents for a couple years now and like to think I have a decent amount of knowledge about them but I realize there's a vast amount more than to obtain.  

IMG_20200429_021855-1.jpg

IMG_20200429_021945.jpg

Edited by jbishop2056@gmail.com
Forgot a picture

10 hours ago, jbishop2056@gmail.com said:
  1. I've read the 1982 p small date bronze is hard to find in higher grades.  First is prior statement true and and what grade should a novice collector such as myself start to entertain the thought of having one graded... If at all? If any seasoned collector has the time to take a glance at mine just to let me know what they would grade it at it would be very much appreciated.  I just want to see how far off I am with my conclusions... Or should I say hypothesis?  LoL. I've been collecting Lincoln cents for a couple years now and like to think I have a decent amount of knowledge about them but I realize there's a vast amount more than to obtain.  

Looks like a small date, yes in gem grades it has some value, in early 2020 a couple of PCGS graded MS65's sold for around $25 each, an MS66 for $60 and in 2019 an MS67 for $290.  The coin you posted looks to have some lite roll friction and is not a coin I would consider submitting for grading but makes a great album coin.

Something I was told in my beginning is that if a Coin has one single PMD scratch the grade will not go higher than MS-63, so if it has neither a major Error or is major Variety then it is not worthy of sending in for grading. Now I'm sure there are exceptions to this but I would think they would only apply to a Coin that is either very old or very sought after.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Something I was told in my beginning is that if a Coin has one single PMD scratch the grade will not go higher than MS-63, so if it has neither a major Error or is major Variety then it is not worthy of sending in for grading. Now I'm sure there are exceptions to this but I would think they would only apply to a Coin that is either very old or very sought after.

I'd be extremely leery of any hard and fast rules like that, Karen. There are some hardcore "technical" graders who throw around truisms like those, but they do not reflect current grading theory. In the MS range there are at least four factors that come together to grade a coin - strike, luster, lack of marks or scratches AND their location, and eye appeal. The last one is so subjective it hurts. I have MS66 and MS67 coins that do have marks on them.

@VKurtB Thanks for saying so. I admit those words have made me downgrade many of my own coins that I feel are absolutely gorgeous specimens, if one Franklin didn't have a teensy milk spot between some letter and the rim. I hated it when I was told that and didn't want to believe it. Glad to hear I can go back and take another look at what I have.