• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate coins - 1945 Nickel crack

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I have come across this nickle with a crack across the obverse and another on the reverse (but not as evident. I don't have much experience with whether or not it is post damage or a die crack. Thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Looks to me more like a Lamination than a crack. You can see it alsonon his chin and nose.

Yup, I've been doing more research since posting this and that seems to be the general consensus. Never saw one like this before ... kinda cool!

Completely agree, lamination error. For a war nickel that one is also in great shape. Not worth slabbing but definitely protect it!

2 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Completely agree, lamination error. For a war nickel that one is also in great shape. Not worth slabbing but definitely protect it!

Yup,  agreed Kirt. This one I'll keep for myself. I've got several dozen war nickles and buffalo's to go through in this collection and many of them  in this condition or better. Here's an example of some of the better ones.

1.jpg

2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Wow....I assume you're checking the reverses of those for full steps, right?

That's a beauty. Very jealous!

Oh yes and there seem to be several 5FS  .... I found a small box  with this quality nickle (15 of them) all in packaging. Not sure how circulated they are if at all. I've gone through a few of these already. Trying to decide if any are worth send in for grading.

1.jpg

If that 1943S is five steps, it might be worth it. From the photo I'd say MS65 or over; however, I collect circulated so higher MS grades aren't my strength. In that box, the S to bottom left looks lightly circulated; can't really tell on top '44 and bottom right '44 looks UNC.

You've got your hands on a really nice collection there!

I do appreciate the second set of eyes and opinions Kirt. I have a kot of good stuff to go through and this chat room seems to be a good place to help me confirm what I may want to grade versus just sell as is. Next up I have several GSA Carsons I have questions about.

I really like it when people get coins given to then. That is how we get a lot of new collectors.  @TMG, you have been given some really nice coins, thanks for shearing with us.  I do hope you keep adding to the collection and not sell it all off for the money.  $1000, I have been adding to it, so when I pass, it will go to someone that I hope adds to it too.

25 minutes ago, Rummy13 said:

I really like it when people get coins given to then. That is how we get a lot of new collectors.  @TMG, you have been given some really nice coins, thanks for shearing with us.  I do hope you keep adding to the collection and not sell it all off for the money.  $1000, I have been adding to it, so when I pass, it will go to someone that I hope adds to it too.

While I have my own collection for me that I have amassed over the years .....  this particular collection was purchased in order to resell for profit. I will no doubt keep a few select coins for me (like the lam posted in this thread).