• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estate coins - Civil War Token

5 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, found a civil war token that looked interesting. I couldn't get too much info on value, would like to hear from anyone who has thoughts on these.

The damage is evident. Looks like post damage but opinions are welcome. Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

15 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/us-tokens-and-medals/civil-war-store-cards/118/

A dozen different tokens including this one on HA sold 2003 for $184. Just a wild guess - somewhere in the $10-30 range, probably on the low end due to damage.

Thanks, looked through the link but it doesn't give much in the way of values (I'll look into Heritage later My thought was the original owner probably acquired thinking the damage was an error therefore valuable. 

1 hour ago, TmgT said:

Thanks, looked through the link but it doesn't give much in the way of values (I'll look into Heritage later My thought was the original owner probably acquired thinking the damage was an error therefore valuable. 

Not necessarily on assuming it's an error...tokens are really difficult to value because they are different than coins. They can be worthless to most people, but when you find that one collector they can be valuable. If this is the same estate, the collector seemed to be going for highly collectible tokens, so I'd take your time with any others you find. Nothing you've posted is junk or worthless, particularly when compared to face value (0). Someone will want this thing.

Edited by Kirt

2 hours ago, Kirt said:

Not necessarily on assuming it's an error...tokens are really difficult to value because they are different than coins. They can be worthless to most people, but when you find that one collector they can be valuable. If this is the same estate, the collector seemed to be going for highly collectible tokens, so I'd take your time with any others you find. Nothing you've posted is junk or worthless, particularly when compared to face value (0). Someone will want this thing.

Thank you Kirt, that is very sound advice.  I still have a lot of work ahead of me and look forward to sharing what could be some interesting finds in the future. 

And yes this is from the same estate collection. I have about 2000 or so coins to look through.