• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959-D Wheat ears. Mule error

17 posts in this topic

I believe I have found a 1959-d wheat cent. The condition is fine but not the best; it looks like the coin has been rotated in something and has been gouged in a rotation around the coin. I am asking anyone for opinions. I also don't know what to do next as this coin is an extremely controversial coin. Should I send it to NGC or somewhere else??

IMG_20200203_123650.jpg

It's just a 1950 with damaged date. The 0 is precisely the right size and location. It's too big to be the top loop of a 9 and the wrong shape.

Hello, I just wanted to point out that there is metal pushed up into the nine Making it look bigger. I attached a picture showing where the head of the nine terminates and the back of the tail. I wanted to send it somewhere no matter what the outcome is.

IMG_20200204_174205.jpg

The tail of the 9 is not struck where you indicate it is in your latest image; it is parallel with the bottom of the other 9 and above the mint mark. What you are pointing at is more of the same raised metal that was caused by the damage around the edge of the coin. It is a 1950D that has met with an unfortunate fate; if you really want to spend about $100 to have a third party grader tell you the same that is absolutely your call. Damage on coins can look like a lot of stuff and you have to be willing to step back and really make sure you are seeing what you think you're seeing.

Thanks for the reply; I guess I can't really show it with my camera. I may need to have scans that show what I see but here is another grey scale picture. The nine tail terminates well above the mintmark and is completely parallel to the the other nine. I know it's damaged but it really takes a hands on view to see and indicate. I am definitely going to send off. 

IMG_20200204_185522.jpg

I concur with my colleagues. That coin was minted a 1950-D and has suffered damage. If you want to send it in for grading, and are willing to spend $60 for the professionals to tell you so, by all means do so.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/article/50000-for-a-1959-d-lincoln-cent-mule

I hope you understand that all three major TPGs refused to authenticate the one single example known. There's not a chance that they would authenticate this one. We're all just trying to help here.

I hate to be another person raining on your parade, but I have to agree with everyone else. There is no way a legitimate third-party grader is going to authenticate this as a 1959-d. It won't even get a grade. However, It is your money to spend as you choose.

Repeat, it will not get ANY grade, nor any attribution. Damage, as this coin has, ends any further discussion right there.

Might as well send it in and pay your tuition, then. Not sure about the logic that asks a question, rejects a unanimous chorus of answers, and plans to ignore them all, but when that is the case there's nothing for it but to pay your tuition.

I bet one of the dirty hidden truths of the grading process is something like "Dog of the Day," the worst coin the graders see during a given workday. Everyone could chip in a couple of bucks and the biggest no-hoper of the day would win the pot. "Hey, Fred, take a look at this one! Guy wants us to authenticate this drilled hole as a mint error!" "You've got me beat. My worst one today just looks like it served two tours of duty in the Safeway parking lot and is recovering from PPLSD."