• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help. 1888-O Morgan "wanna be" Scarface

13 posts in this topic

Ive done some research but I would appreciate help with the following questions. 1) What grade 2) I will get graded but what do I ask the grader to look for regarding the break since it's not a VAM 3) How does the crack affect value since i'm assuming it's not a "true" Scarface (No rim break, downward nose break or bearded eagle) 4) Possible value. I know it's subjective. One coin store wanted to buy it for $200 and another said melt value only.

PICURES 1)Straight view 2) slight angle shows break 3) close up of break 4) Can see line break for a "true" Scarface and where mine breaks of it 5) Luster 6) Back of coin

Thank you for any and all help.

1 -med size.jpg

2- med size.JPG

3 - med size.JPG

4- med size.JPG

5.2 680 X680.jpg

6 - med size.jpg

Pastel coloring is usually a red flag for me.

Looks like some liquid substance caused it … 

Not seeing anything that looks close to a scarface

( Maybe a VAM-7 ) 

The last "8" dont look right to me maybe PMD ( Post mint damage 

Welcome to the boards and dont forget to have fun :-)

Edited by jgrinz

Jgrinz - Thank you very much for your reply and info.  I agree that it is not a scarface but I guess I will have it checked out for a VAM when I send it in to be graded. Maybe I'll get lucky.  

As for the toning, my father has had this in his safe in the garage since the 70's.  It has been in the Savings and Loans case ever since then.  I am assuming, the Texas heat and cold over the years caused the toning.  As you can see in my next photo, the Peace didn't tone well, but the two morgans in the red cases have similar toning.  All the Morgans in the blue cases have the similar toning as well. The morgan in the savings and loan paper holder didn't tone at all. 

Thanks again for your time.

7 med size.JPG

4 minutes ago, LAF13 said:

Jgrinz - Thank you very much for your reply and info.  I agree that it is not a scarface but I guess I will have it checked out for a VAM when I send it in to be graded. Maybe I'll get lucky.  

As for the toning, my father has had this in his safe in the garage since the 70's.  It has been in the Savings and Loans case ever since then.  I am assuming, the Texas heat and cold over the years caused the toning.  As you can see in my next photo, the Peace didn't tone well, but the two morgans in the red cases have similar toning.  All the Morgans in the blue cases have the similar toning as well. The morgan in the savings and loan paper holder didn't tone at all. 

Thanks again for your time.

My question to you would be WHY certify … the way they are right now have so much more history and are way TOO C00l~!

Yep heat and cold and that cardboard will do it … similar to coin book toning. Enjoy them 

20 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

My question to you would be WHY certify … the way they are right now have so much more history and are way TOO C00l~!

Yep heat and cold and that cardboard will do it … similar to coin book toning. Enjoy them 

Thanks!! You make a great point re the history.  I love these coins and they will be a great reminder of my father for as long as I live. However, I would like to tell my dad that his investment almost 50 years ago is worth a lot.  The coin store said I should send them in to get graded so I can know the (ballpark) value of the coins and prevent future damage. Especially since I love opening it and looking at it ALOT!! Plus I would like to know about the scar since I think it is really cool and could maybe increase the value. 

I guess I am not seeing - 

A true scar face comes from the rim and goes by the nose and into cheek area.

Are you talking about the marking going by and through the eye ???

29 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

I guess I am not seeing - 

A true scar face comes from the rim and goes by the nose and into cheek area.

Are you talking about the marking going by and through the eye ???

Sorry for the confusion.  I thought my scar on the cheek, even though not a Scarface, would add value, along with the toning and MS grade (grade according to coin store). Hopefully making it a $1000 coin. I've got a lot to learn. Sorry to take up your time.

kbbpll - Thank you.  Correct. That is exactly what I am refering to.  Based on limited research a Scarface EDS begins at the rim but doesn't extend in to the face.  Could this coin be an EDS/VAM variety or is it just a random break that could either increase or decrease the value of the coin?  I'm guessing it's a random break but was hoping someone here would see it and know. I'm just shocked by the placement of the break and think there could be more to it than nothing at all.  Wishful thinking probably.

EDS doesn't enter the cheek and is still at the rim

Cant tell anything with these pictures sorry

Put your phone on full manual and you can get better pictures

1 hour ago, jgrinz said:

EDS doesn't enter the cheek and is still at the rim

Cant tell anything with these pictures sorry

Put your phone on full manual and you can get better pictures

Thanks JGRINZ and KBBPLL for taking the time to review my coin. I greatly appreciate it. I may see what the Vam website has to say but I tend to agree with JGRINZ that there is nothing VAM related involving the crack. Yall take care.

5 hours ago, LAF13 said:

I tend to agree with JGRINZ that there is nothing VAM related involving the crack.

I didn't say that, just need better pictures to determine its value and grade 

On 1/30/2020 at 2:20 PM, jgrinz said:

I agree.  The original packaging of these, maybe it qualifies as ephemera, is very interesting.