• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 Morgan Silver Dollar, Papaw's Collection

9 posts in this topic

This piece looks to be very well preserved. I have two of these in similar condition. A quick google on these and they are pretty common. I saw something about numismatists having a love or hate for these because they were made from other melting silver coins???

20200126_111143_50.jpg

20200126_111205_50.jpg

I think both are uncirculated (the first is nicer), but 1921 saw massive mintages at the main mint (Philly). They are specifically in less demand than most Morgan issues. Maybe less than any other Morgan issue.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

I think both are uncirculated (the first is nicer), but 1921 saw massive mintages at the main mint (Philly). They are specifically in less demand than most Morgan issues. Maybe less than any other Morgan issue.

Thats about what I expected for these. So they arent worth much more than melt value?

10 minutes ago, RWC III said:

Thats about what I expected for these. So they arent worth much more than melt value?

The first is rather clean and the fields look quite original. Very attractive. Grading for MS Morgans goes by a number of criteria, but one key component is disfiguring dings and where they are (prime focal vs. secondary focal). I like the look of that one and suspect it could get 64. The second has some toning going on that has stuck in the protected areas (right along the edges of devices). On a coin with residual mint luster, that's usually where the good stuff is found, not the bad stuff, so I wonder if that one were buff-cleaned at some point. Not sure, but I don't see evidence of wear, so I'd guess MS cleaned.

Consulting a recent price guide (Coin World mag) that is usually about 30% high, I get $55 for the first one if it deserves 64, $35 for the second if it deserves 60 cleaned. Melt is what, $13-14? Assuming the price guide is high, the first one might be worth about $35-40, the second maybe $20-25. The fact is that neither appears circulated, at least to me, and that does give them some advantage over the normal basic $15-20 that applies to nearly any Morgan unless it's so abused even a raven wouldn't want it.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

The first is rather clean and the fields look quite original. Very attractive. Grading for MS Morgans goes by a number of criteria, but one key component is disfiguring dings and where they are (prime focal vs. secondary focal). I like the look of that one and suspect it could get 64. The second has some toning going on that has stuck in the protected areas (right along the edges of devices). On a coin with residual mint luster, that's usually where the good stuff is found, not the bad stuff, so I wonder if that one were buff-cleaned at some point. Not sure, but I don't see evidence of wear, so I'd guess MS cleaned.

Consulting a recent price guide (Coin World mag) that is usually about 30% high, I get $55 for the first one if it deserves 64, $35 for the second if it deserves 60 cleaned. Melt is what, $13-14? Assuming the price guide is high, the first one might be worth about $35-40, the second maybe $20-25. The fact is that neither appears circulated, at least to me, and that does give them some advantage over the normal basic $15-20 that applies to nearly any Morgan unless it's so abused even a raven wouldn't want it.

Wow, ok. Thanks for the info. In my opinion, not worth enough the sell.  My 9 year old is really getting into coins now that he sees me going through all this. I think i will just hand them down.

3 hours ago, RWC III said:

Wow, ok. Thanks for the info. In my opinion, not worth enough the sell.  My 9 year old is really getting into coins now that he sees me going through all this. I think i will just hand them down.

Very reasonable decision. Get them in good quality protection and they will still be in nice shape when the day comes to pass them along.

Parent/child numismatics are an excellent hobby. At our club meetings, I usually sit with a dad who brings his son, an avid YN who does a presentation at every meeting on a coin he obtained--and he's getting good at it. They were on my front desk/troubleshooting crew at the coin show last year (our club puts on), and you could just see the pride in the dad's eyes when I'd send his son off to handle something, confident he would do intelligent things, a young person acting maturely enough to be treated as a colleague and teammate. There's a mom who brings three younger children to the meetings and they enjoy it very much.

When you get a grading guide, take a gander at the rules for MS Morgans, and see if you agree with 64 for the nicer one.

Dunno second one looks AU to me ( Wreath leaves and Breast ) Philly's are usually struck pretty good for it to be a strike issue.

I can see the first one as a 63 cause of forehead eye nose and mouth hits - Reverse is definitely a 64

Nice pictures by the way 

IMHO

Edited by jgrinz