• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Competitive or Custom set?

7 posts in this topic

Would a complete set of all proof or mint state coins (1999-Present) for a specific year be custom or competitive? I see competitive for things like a the standard issue proof coins, but not what I'd refer to as a 'master set' to include all proof issues for the year, including commemoratives, silver and clad issues, ASE, Spouse gold, etc.. If that is considered 'custom' is there any opportunity for a competitive category enhancement for this concept of a 'master set?'

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, William St. Croix said:

Would a complete set of all proof or mint state coins (1999-Present) for a specific year be custom or competitive? I see competitive for things like a the standard issue proof coins, but not what I'd refer to as a 'master set' to include all proof issues for the year, including commemoratives, silver and clad issues, ASE, Spouse gold, etc.. If that is considered 'custom' is there any opportunity for a competitive category enhancement for this concept of a 'master set?'

Thank you for the interest and request, William.

Due to the large scope, these sets would be more appropriate for Custom NGC Registry sets.  In the future, we will add Custom NGC Registry sets to the new NGC Registry on NGCcoin.com. We do not yet have a date for this. You may still create Custom Registry sets on the Collectors-Society.com website.

Edited by Ali E.

Thanks, Ali. Just so I understand, in the future (no ETA, yet) there will be a scored registry category for something like this? The second question is, will I be able to easily 'export/import' my custom set into the new custom registry pages? Or will I need to re-do the data input? Thanks again!

• Administrator
On 1/22/2020 at 9:54 AM, William St. Croix said:

Thanks, Ali. Just so I understand, in the future (no ETA, yet) there will be a scored registry category for something like this? The second question is, will I be able to easily 'export/import' my custom set into the new custom registry pages? Or will I need to re-do the data input? Thanks again!

Hi, William.

Any existing NGC Registry Custom sets will be eventually and automatically carried over from the Collector Society site to NGCcoin.com. Custom sets do not receive scores, but they are still eligible for annual awards. For annual awards information, please click here

On 1/22/2020 at 8:15 AM, William St. Croix said:

What you might consider doing is something like what I do with my Zimbabwe notes in the PMG registry. I have competitive sets for my notes but those don't adequately express how I see the set of notes as a collected whole, across all the different series, so I also have a custom set that pulls it all together that I call "Gradually, then suddenly."

There will be competitive sets for proof coins for each year and there will be competitive sets for proof ASEs, but not a competitive set that does both. Just make competitive sets to park your coins in and have your custom set and that can be a kind of "competitive category enhancement" like what you're thinking of.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:49 AM, Ali E. said:

Thank you for the interest and request, William.

Due to the large scope, these sets would be more appropriate for Custom NGC Registry sets.  In the future, we will add Custom NGC Registry sets to the new NGC Registry on NGCcoin.com. We do not yet have a date for this. You may still create Custom Registry sets on the Collectors-Society.com website.

Any update as to when custom sets will be available?

• Administrator
On 7/25/2023 at 6:53 AM, cgcsketcherz said:

Any update as to when custom sets will be available?

@cgcsketcherz, hello.

The programmers are working on several critical projects for other functionality for our many companies. We do not have a date for Custom NGC Registry sets to be moved over to the new site on NGCcoin.com. Thank you.