• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin a "CUD" error type?..

10 posts in this topic

It does appear to be, but it is impossible to be sure from pictures, especially these pictures. Nothing personal; cell phone pictures are typically hard to interpret. If there are no scrape marks and the rim is not indented, it is likely a cud. There is definitely something going on with the reverse, opposite that area, but I can't see it well enough to tell if it is damage or displaced metal.

Would you take a closeup picture of that area and a picture of the edge of the coin also.(Please crop and rotate your photos). 

My concern is that the edge looks a little flat but that may be the picture.

Just now, kbbpll said:

The diameter looks flattened across that area (i.e. coin is no longer round), and what look like file marks. Just observations.

Yes, this. Maybe it was a cud, but these factors have ruined it.

In the new pictures, the lower part of both "6"s (or possibly "8"s) can be seen, pushed upward along with the rim metal. A cud would involve metal flowing into the recess where the broken metal of the die was missing, which would mean the last two digits would not be visible.

Verdict: Damaged.

Edited by Just Bob

The best way to see if it is damage or a retained cud is to get a very clear photo of the coin's edge directly under the date. If the reeding is distorted or flattened it's damage.

3 hours ago, Daddyken said:

If you say that this coin is not a CUD but instead a damaged coin, how did it happen?. 

As to how, innumerable ways. If it was a retained cud then it was either struck by something or filed down to allow the date to show through. Maybe it was an edge fin that got folded over the date, who knows.