• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 penny mint mark error
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Idk, but I'm thinking someone was trying to do a counterfeit. But if you look closely looks like an S in the D or whatever it is. Interesting wow. It feels raised but not much. What would be your thoughts. There's not supposed to be mint mark on a 67. Or did the mint possibly make a mistake and try to toss it but indent up in circulation. Hmmmm 

20191202_124530.jpg

20191202_124649.jpg

I apologize everyone, it's not raised it is smooth. Just the outer of the location is some what raised. But by looking at the coin and if you look at the first pic, there are line streaks all around the location and happens to go through the somewhat mint mark. So its making me wonder if it was done on purpose. How weird though. Hmmmm 

13 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

As you stated, 1967 cents had no mm. It looks like someone may have tried to add a mm to make a "rare" Lincoln cent.

(Then they could  sell it on etsey for $100,000)

What people would do to scam for money. Lol.:frown::facepalm:

There's a 1962-D on another forum where somebody tried to make the 2 into a 7. I can't tell if this one is deliberate too or just a random stain as Just Bob says. Or perhaps a deliberate random stain? You could soak in acetone and see if it comes off. Die polish lines do seem to go right through it, so another thought is someone glued a D on there and it fell off after the stain formed.