• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it easy
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Yes just take your time filling out the questions so you dont mess up and always just describe your coins what grade you think they are and be able to afford to send them out first so you have a estimate of a idea how much depends on what you subscribe to for membership hope it helps treezy coins 

It is relatively easy.  But you can expect these "surprises":

* uncertainty where your coins are for an uncomfortably long time (unless you pay for express)

* expense shipping charges 

* surprise fees - like for special labels ($5 per coin), asking for you mint  packaging ($5), and $10 for each invoice.  This is a big deal, because if you want to get 3 coins graded but they are all in a different service category, you have to pay an additional $10 for each invoice.

* usually a long waiting time (for my experience it was never quick) when getting the standard service

It's easy.  I would suggest doing the "Online" Submission form instead of the "Fillable PDF" version.

https://www.ngccoin.com/account/my-submissions/

It will calculate the pricing for you so there's none of those "surprise" fees @BlakeEik describes.  The only difficulty is when you get to the end to print the invoices it will only print 1 then give you the option to "return to site" or something else, "option b" for lack of recall.  Neither of which brings you to the next invoice that needs to be printed.  So if you have multiple invoices in the same submission remember to use the back command on your browser to get back to the order screen and choose the other invoices to print.

Once it's all printed the only thing you need to do is sign the form, add your payment method, and package everything up for transit.

Blake brings up the $10 per invoice fee which I personally dislike.  This means unless you really must have that coin encapsulated now you should hold aside a few until you have enough to make it worthwhile.  It's your choice how you want to spend your money, though, just a suggestion.

For many, but not all, new collectors, pricing out the "all in" costs of getting coins slabbed results in a measure of "sticker shock". It's not very cheap. Most of the key people at TPGS firms drive really nice cars and live in nice houses. Jus' sayin'.

Edited by VKurtB

What @CRAWTOMATIC says is true, you do see the charges when you fill out your paperwork.  But trust me, I was surprised the first time I saw them!

One other, very important point you must take to heart if you do not want become frustrated with submitting coins: unless you are submitting coins straight from the mint, assume they will grade much lower than you think they should. Unless you have experience doing so, there is a very good chance your coins will come back in problem holders.  You should probably let an expert check out your coins before you spend a lot of money grading them. 

Just a thought!

One other thought, OP. It used to be for quite a few years, the only way to submit coins to the top two firms was through an authorized dealer. There was no such thing as direct submitting at all. Things then gradually loosened. For a rank beginner, it's still best to seek out the advice of a dealer. For NGC, direct submission capability comes as a benefit of ANA membership.

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Getting them graded is easy, getting the knowledge to know what to submit is not easy.

+1, heck, +10.