• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbe needs help

14 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

I will go along with the XF grade on the Eagle; the reverse of the Double Eagle is too blurry to grade, but the obverse looks AU55 or so; and the Bust Half is not MS64- it looks cleaned, and I see what appears to be a slight rub on the obverse - call it AU Details.

Thanks for the review Bob, I was hoping for an MS at least on the half.

Conder,

I see this flavor of CCGS a fair bit in the central Pennsylvania/Maryland region.

11 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Got a picture of the back of that CCGS slab?  I have three different companies listed for CCGS and none of them used a slab like that.

What is your opinion of the grading/condition of this half dollar?

On 11/13/2019 at 9:54 PM, Frank 61 said:

Thanks for the review Bob, I was hoping for an MS at least on the half.

First off, Welcome to The Forum. (Sorry, I should have done that earlier.)

You have that Bust Half in hand, so you would know better than I whether that is a rub on the obverse, or if it is just discoloration. It may very well be uncirculated, but appear to be AU in the photo. Regardless, those hairlines on the reverse are going to keep it from getting a straight grade at any of the major services.

That's a much better picture of the Double Eagle reverse, but it really doesn't change my opinion of the grade of the coin. Nice coin, though.

1 hour ago, Frank 61 said:

What is your opinion of the grading/condition of this half dollar?

It's got a lot of detail, but the horizontal scratch lines on the reverse are concerning. I think it would be considered AU whizzed. Never heard of CCCG, so to me it's a JGS (Joe's Grading Service), in other words a random place whose opinion doesn't carry weight with me.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:14 AM, Frank 61 said:

What have been your experiences with this grading company, good or bad?

Not great. Some accurate, more lots less so. Especially sketchy at the way high grades. If you see one in a lower grade, the chances of accuracy go way up. Aside from the hairlines (the parallel scratches), I like that half at MS64. The question is whether a top-two company would straight grade it at all. It most likely would come back MS Details, I'm afraid.

Edited by VKurtB