• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1834 quarter, worth the effort of getting graded?

5 posts in this topic

I’ve only ever sent off 4 coins to get graded, reason being they were Chinese and unsaleable without the certification (hammered for 305k) but I’ve picked up this 1834 quarter which may be worth sending off to get graded given it didn’t cost much. Any views on possible grades and value if graded or just sell as is. That edge nick is bothering me.

thanks in advance. 

6F061676-3221-4AC7-9D6E-90270E4FA15B.jpeg

958F8924-B51C-42BD-8A0A-19E0AC9FD9F5.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Mr. Feld. Your coin has some issues that could keep it from getting graded, including some hairlines that may indicate a previous cleaning.

I'll point out that 19 of the first 25 auction results in the AU50 NGC price guide are all details coins, and they average out at $385. That seems to be well into the value range where most people say it's worth getting slabbed.

Depends on what you want to do with it, if your plan is to keep it then I would not.  If you plan to sell it or are worried about it being a fake then depending on how much you have into the coin already it may be worth sending it in. I'm in agreement with the other posters that from the pics it does look cleaned and wouldn't imo receive a straight grade.