• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonight's trivia question

10 posts in this topic

Question 1) What was the first US coin to have IN GOD WE TRUST on it and what year was it minted?

2) Before they decided on IN GOD WE TRUST they made pattern coins with two similar mottos what are they?

3) What year did Congress make it manditory on all US coinage?

Good luck! CHRIS

1. 1864 2c piece.

2. One was "God Our Trust". I can't remember the other, and am too tired to go look it up.

3. 1866? Once again, I am too tired to look it up...

EVP

3. Legislation approved July 11, 1955, made the inscription of “In God We Trust” mandatory on all coins and paper currency of the United States. Legislation approved July 30, 1956, made “In God We Trust” the national motto of the United States.

here is link where I got the info

In god we trust

According to this GOD OUR TRUST was first used in 1861

Judd 277 half dollar

In 1863 GOD AND OUR COUNTRY was used on pattern 2 cents pieces Judd 309-311

CHRIS

Chris,

Whoops, I misread my source. "In God Our Hope" was the motto of the university that the current Secretary of the Treasury had attended at the time the motto was added.

April 22, 1864 - The U.S. Congress mandated that all coins minted as U.S. currency bear the inscription "In God We Trust".