• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 American Eagle silver dollar

5 posts in this topic

I’ve had this 2002 American silver dollar stashed away in a drawer forever and came across it today. My question is if I was to send a coin off for grading would this one be the one to send? I have read where one of these silver dollars graded NGC MS70 sold at auction in 2013 for $3,105. As far as I know it has never been out of the case it’s in. As always any help would be appreciated. 

12EA5094-9463-461E-A59B-9C6B1DE3B27D.jpeg

F6B2BD6C-B448-401C-A262-43A7A87804BD.jpeg

The problem is, if it grades 70 you'll make a profit, if it grades 69 you will break even if you are luck (assuming you were given the coin and don't have money sunk in it from buying it) and if it comes back 68 you lose money.  Ods of getting a 70 are not real high, and the fact that you have never had it out of that aftermarket capsule (the uncs didn't come from the mint in capsules) doesn't mean much.

So I thought I lost it but it did come in a box and the certificate of authenticity says it is an uncirculated version. Would this make a difference?

image.jpg

Edited by MattMatt88

If your purchase is from American Mint chances are you WILL lose money getting your coin certified. If you investigate the company you'll find they are not reliable and are very deceptive in their sales tactics. You can take this information from my own personal experiences. Do not ever buy anything they sell that says solid .9999 gold. If you have and you still have their 30 day guarantee return the coin and get your refund. That is the best way to get your money back from your purchase. 

3 hours ago, Nowabbit said:

If your purchase is from American Mint chances are you WILL lose money getting your coin certified. If you investigate the company you'll find they are not reliable and are very deceptive in their sales tactics. You can take this information from my own personal experiences. Do not ever buy anything they sell that says solid .9999 gold. If you have and you still have their 30 day guarantee return the coin and get your refund. That is the best way to get your money back from your purchase. 

I didn’t buy it it was given to me. And thanks for the heads up.