• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 D penny DD on date and mint mark?

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not familiar with numismatic terms and abbreviations, DDD = Die Deterioration Doubling, which is caused by a die that has seen lots of use, and is showing signs of unusual wear, to put it simply.

Here are a few links to articles and pages that can give you more information about the different forms of doubling you might encounter:

David Lange's article on Doubled dies vs Machine Doubling

Wexler's page on "worthless doubling," with links to specific types (including Die Deterioration Doubling) at the bottom of the page.

Error-ref.com page with links to pictures of other types of doubling.

A bit of friendly advice: since you are searching rolls of new cents, I assume that you have read about or watched videos on finding errors or varieties in pocket change or bank rolls. While this has happened in the past, the instances are very few and very far between. It is much more likely that you will find interesting-but-only-worth-face-value coins like the one pictured, rather than true varieties or errors. It is your hobby to pursue as you wish, and if this is what you like to do, then, by all means, have a great time, but be aware that you probably will never "strike it rich."

I appreciate the insight. And while it would be nice to “strike it rich” I just like to find odd and unusual coins haha. Maybe one day I’ll find that unicorn and sail away to my own private island haha.