• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check this out

8 posts in this topic

I found this 1990 Quarter and I SWEAR this is a true DD on his nose and goes over his head, it's so cool.

I am sending 10 coins into grading company soon bc I have 1964 RED penny and a 1968 too

I LOVE THIS STUFF LOL

IMG_0196.JPG

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Sorry, MD.

Dang it!!!! But this isn't a shadow it's an actual line, so I may never get this......LOL

Mr. Greenstang How can you tell the difference? I don't understand...

I watched the video and thought I had understood, GUESS NOT!!! lol

AS ALWAYS, Thank you for helping me. I love looking and finding what I do anyway, so much excitement and I am trying to take some coins to the bank to return but I will keep others for my 10 y/o

Think of George's nose as the coastline of his face, which is a continent. The background field is the ocean. What you see here is continental shelf, lower than the shoreline. That is MD or DDD. True die doubling creates more land, like that stuff that happened on the Big Island a while back. In truth, it extends as far up from the fields as the intended lettering or devices do. It needs to be a twin, not a lesser piece of metal.

12 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Think of George's nose as the coastline of his face, which is a continent. The background field is the ocean. What you see here is continental shelf, lower than the shoreline. That is MD or DDD. True die doubling creates more land, like that stuff that happened on the Big Island a while back. In truth, it extends as far up from the fields as the intended lettering or devices do. It needs to be a twin, not a lesser piece of metal.

Thank you Mister VK I'll hopefully get this someday, been trying to learn for a year now, I really enjoy it tho, actually I've learned a lot since I first started. LOL Just haven't been able to capture/learn this DD stuff yet. THANK YOU THO for all the help.

Smiley, keep working at it, it will eventually come to you. I remember when I first started to try to tell the difference between MD and DD, they both looked the same for the longest time then one day it just clicked. Now the difference looks black and white.

It helps a lot to know how MD and DD results occur.

As I understand it, mechanical doubling occurs when the planchet moves during the striking process. That's why it looks shelfy. It is not a die variety, of course, because the problem does not lie with the dies. Imagine if you were sticking a signet into softened wax, and someone moved the wax very slightly just as your impression reached full depth.

A doubled die occurs, to my understanding, when the working die is created from the working hub. This means that all coins struck by that particular die will reflect the doubling, and that its ghostly images will each reflect the features the coin should have had only once. I am not sure whether it would be right to say that the mistake that creates a DD is somewhat like the error that creates MD (just at the die creation rather than coin striking), but it might be.

It is very rare to discover new DD types, because we've been looking at these suckers for decades now in many cases, and people who are very eager to find them have gone through totes and totes of pennies. This doesn't mean that no uncatalogued DD can exist; it just means that they are vanishingly rare because most of the DDs have been discovered.