• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Proof Small Date?

15 posts in this topic

Is this a small date or a large date. Its hard for me to tell. 

Also what is up with the extra raised metal on the 9 and on the reverse, the States and "F" in of? and some in America

Most of the Reverse lettering there is some raised metal. 

20191026_205621.jpg

Edited by Dukemnm
Typo

On 10/27/2019 at 8:41 AM, Greenstang said:

could be DDD

Sad to see this on any proof coin.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:41 AM, Greenstang said:

The 9 is slightly higher than the 1 instead of being level

Ooh! Ok, so the 1 and 9 have to be level on the small date? 

On 10/27/2019 at 5:41 AM, Greenstang said:

The raised metal could be DDD

I don't think it would be worth the risk of getting it slabbed. Who knows Maybe I'll do it with the free submission next year on membership renewal and add it to my worthless collection. 

2 hours ago, Dukemnm said:

I know what you mean, It is hardly noticeable and not enough for someone to be like. "I want it", nonetheless, its distracting.  

I mean, really, the whole point of a proof is to be the ultimate quality version of the artist's work. To let a die set go so long that it starts to deteriorate on proofs is just sloppiness.

If you take a flat edge and run it across the top of the 1 and the top of the 0 if you see a bit of the nine above that plane

you have a Large date.

Then to really confuse you there are coins with a small date OVER a large date - though this is not one :-)

4 hours ago, jgrinz said:

If you take a flat edge and run it across the top of the 1 and the top of the 0 if you see a bit of the nine above that plane

you have a Large date.

Then to really confuse you there are coins with a small date OVER a large date - though this is not one :-)

I will do that, thanks. Can I also do that with the 1970 Large and small date?