• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Original wrapped coins" - A possible answer discovered.

4 posts in this topic

One of the most persistent questions from collectors relates to "bank wrapped coins" and specifically rolls of silver dollars. Some of this interest likely is generated by bogus claims for "bank wrapped Carson City bank rolls" as often seen on ebay, Craig's List and similar on-line sites. The usual response includes information about coin wrapping machines and manual aids, etc.

However, a more serious side to the subject involves packaging of coin by the US Mints for use by businesses. We know from documentation that clerks at the Philadelphia Mint packaged gold dollars in rolls of 100 pieces for the convenience of Post Offices in New York, Philadelphia, Boston and elsewhere. Presumably, hand-cut paper was used for wrapping the tiny coins, but there is nothign specific. Additionally, the New Orleans Mint packaged new standard silver dollars in units of $10 for the convenience of a railroad company, but again, we don't know if the coins were put into small envelopes, boxes, or paper wrappers.

Here is something that seems to answer the question:

Martin V. Davis, Superintendent

U.S. Mint

New Orleans, La.

December 12, 1881

Sir:

Your letter of the 6th instant enclosing sample of paper for wrapping standard silver dollars and inquiring if the same can be furnished by the Department has been received.

In reply I have to inform you that upon making requisition for such quantity as you desire, the Department will furnish the paper cut as per sample enclosed.

Very Respectfully,

Horatio C. Burchard, Director

[RG104 E-235 Vol 027, pp264-265. Available free on NNP.]

Here, the Superintendent of the New Orleans Mint specifically asked for paper with which to wrap silver dollars, and provided a sample of what was needed. Although Burchard's reply does not state the quantity of coins per roll, it can safely be presumed that it includes $10 in coin for the Railroad or other direct mint customers. The special accommodation was in line with the Mint's policy of getting silver dollars into common circulation. (The Mint Bureau also paid transportation for bags of silver dollars.)

Edited by RWB

OK. That's "theory." Here's a practical hypothesis:

I tried stacking and rolling 100 gold dollars (I had to use 3-cent silvers as surrogates). That many small coins did not stack well and were nearly impossible to put on a piece of paper and make a tight roll of coins.

The same was tried with 10 silver dollars. Stack was stable and could be rolled horizontally with only moderate difficulty. Using 20 silver dollars the pile was stable, but rolling was more difficult.

I tried a different approach. I bought several wooden dowels that were slightly larger in diameter than the coins I wanted to roll. I cut them a little longer than a stack of 100 gold dollars or 10 silver dollars was high. Ordinary paper was cut to the length of each dowel piece and sufficient to cover the dowel's circumference with a little extra. A piece of paper was rolled around a dowel, a bead of white glue run along the  over lap, and the paper tube slipped off the dowel. On drying, this tube was filled with coins in the same way as modern commercial coin tubes. Ends were folded over the coins.

My hypothesis is: Mint employees made paper tubes by wrapping paper around wood rods or dowels and gluing the seam. This was easy, simple, required no special skills, fast and practical.

2 hours ago, RWB said:

We know from documentation that clerks at the Philadelphia Mint packaged gold dollars in rolls of 100 pieces for the convenience of Post Offices in New York, Philadelphia, Boston and elsewhere. Presumably, hand-cut paper was used for wrapping the tiny coins, but there is nothign specific. Additionally, the New Orleans Mint packaged new standard silver dollars in units of $10 for the convenience of a railroad company, but again, we don't know if the coins were put into small envelopes, boxes, or paper wrappers.

Do we know during which years the mint wrapped these silver and gold dollars?

Gold dollars were wrapped for Post Offices from about 1850 or 51 to 1854; the first mention is in 1851 of wrapping as a continuing arrangement. My answer relating to New Orleans has to be a little confusing because the original documents – the ones we have at present – are also confusing.

On June 19, 1880 the New Orleans Mint Superintendent, Martin V. Davis wrote to Mint HQ:

“It has been the custom in this Mint for several months past, in making exchanges of Standard Silver Dollars for gold and Currency, to put up the dollars in $10 packages, rolled in Strong paper, and then placed in boxes holding $1,000 each. This has been done at the instance of the Chicago, St. Louis and New Orleans Railway Co. to facilitate disbursements on payrolls, etc. by its officers.

“Having some doubts as to the strict regularity of this proceeding, yet willing to accommodate, so far as my official duties will permit, a corporation that has distributed an average of about….[Ed: Balance of document missing.]”

[RG104 E-229 Box 14 of 17]

No reply is given in the HQ Letters Sent volumes (E-235).

On July 5, 1880, Davis wrote again:

“Referring to my letter of the 19” ulto., relative to putting up 10$ packages of Standard Silver Dollars for the accommodation of the Chicago, St. Louis & New Orleans R. Road Co. I have the honor to ask whether such practice shall be continued at this mint, having some doubts as to its strict regularity.”

[RG104 E-229 Box 14 of 17]

Acting Director Robert Preston replied on July 8 stating:

“… have to request that the same be discontinued.”

[E-235 vol 22 p.347]

But it must have continued – possibly by authority in a letter we don’t have – evidently on the authority of Director Burchard when he returned to Washington, DC. (See initial post.)

So – for New Orleans we can safely say before June 1880 and probably until after July 1881. Maybe we’ll learn more in the future.