• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insight into the Doubled Die
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello Chatters, miss me much? Hahahahaha! Yeah, yeah. Don't even bother answering. I already know you have. So I am here today because I finally ran across the article that first gave me some insight into how a Doubled Die and other Mint Errors are made. If you read this article and look at the pictures by the end of it you will have a whole new look into what causes what you are looking for, if you are an error searcher. I feel like the first thing for any Newbie in Coin Collecting is to get an understanding of not the error itself but rather how the Minting process works, so then you have a better understanding of how an error can happen in the first place. See? This article is long, yes, but how many hours have you already spent looking at coins only to post them and have all your hooes and dreams stomped on when you are told PMD or MD? So why not read the darn thing and the 3 others it links to so there will be fewer crushed dreams? Between the 4 articles there is everything you need to know about the basics of coinage and how errors are born. You may have to read between a few lines but I'm guessing none of you are or else you wouldn't be here at all. Cause this here hobby is for smarty pants only. So just do it. Read the articles, now....You'll thank me later.

http://www.coinnews.net/2013/09/13/how-the-philadelphia-mint-makes-hubs-and-dies-to-produce-coins/

4 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Hello Chatters, miss me much? Hahahahaha! Yeah, yeah. Don't even bother answering. I already know you have. So I am here today because I finally ran across the article that first gave me some insight into how a Doubled Die and other Mint Errors are made. If you read this article and look at the pictures by the end of it you will have a whole new look into what causes what you are looking for, if you are an error searcher. I feel like the first thing for any Newbie in Coin Collecting is to get an understanding of not the error itself but rather how the Minting process works, so then you have a better understanding of how an error can happen in the first place. See? This article is long, yes, but how many hours have you already spent looking at coins only to post them and have all your hooes and dreams stomped on when you are told PMD or MD? So why not read the darn thing and the 3 others it links to so there will be fewer crushed dreams? Between the 4 articles there is everything you need to know about the basics of coinage and how errors are born. You may have to read between a few lines but I'm guessing none of you are or else you wouldn't be here at all. Cause this here hobby is for smarty pants only. So just do it. Read the articles, now....You'll thank me later.

http://www.coinnews.net/2013/09/13/how-the-philadelphia-mint-makes-hubs-and-dies-to-produce-coins/

Hi Karen, long time no hear. Just kidding Haha. Thanks for that link. Some really interesting ways how the mint works. So really I should know is between PSD or PMD. And how DDs are prevented. And how alot of errors can be prevented. By reading that, I just learned more ,that I really should know. We learn something everyday. So I won't thank you later,  I'll just thank you now. 😁

18 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Very informative link, thank you so much. 

It really gives me perspective. From what I have learned here has really helped me not to waste so much time searching for something that is not there and rather focus on what I want to collect and look for that. I don't need to collect everything and just what sparks my interest. 

With that, I have now started to look for the better looking coins for my collection and budgeting for that.

Thanks again @KarenHolcomb

Buffer-Polisher Tom Larizzio is busy making varieties.

Ha, just kidding.

It's also a good idea to familiarize yourself with how things used to be done. Many errors/varieties from the past basically cannot happen anymore.

I also recall reading in a forum or blog about one of these behind the scenes mint tours, where the attendee claimed that they were deliberately creating doubled dies as an employee training exercise. I cannot vouch for that and I would really have to dig to find where I saw that, but I thought it was interesting. It was around the time people were speculating about what the mint was going to seed into circulation for the great coin hunt, which turned out to be the W quarters.

Well @Hinkle, I am honored. You havve been here for a while, yes? A day we don't learn something is a day wasted for sure.

Well alright, @Dukemnm. I am thrilled that you have figured out what interests you. Be sure to show us your new stuff as you get them. Great photo btw.

Yes, @kbbpll, I used to have a link to a great article that went in depth from the days of using a hammer to today and I somehow deleted it from my bookmarks and have thus far been unable to locate it again. (Come to think of it, I bet I could find it in my area of my FB group. Amazing how you gotta sometimes 'say it out loud' for it too happen). Ima go look now.

Well, I know why I no longer have the great article bookmarked. It is gone. Just gone. I went back through my posts to my FB group and clicked the link amd it has been removed. It was a video, I guess, put out by Coin Op called 'How Coin Dies Are Made-A Little History On Errors And Varieties'. I plan to write them and ask what happened to it. Sorry.