• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940s,41s,42s SM and LG mint mark questions
1 1

4 posts in this topic

So I have been looking up in the book and on NGC varietypluse site, and trying to match the small date and large date mint mark. I pulled out what I had,and came up with these. It looks like I have a 1941 small s on top left and 1941 large s on top right. My question is does the 1940 s look like a large s. I know for sure the 1942 is large s. This has got me puzzled. To my understanding the 1940 is supposed to be small s and the 1942 is supposed to be large s. Maybe you guy's can tell on these pic better than I can. Thanks 

20191002_110230.jpg

24 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Blowups of the MM would have helped but from what I can see, both 1941's are a small S. All 1940's are Small S and all 1942's are Large S.

Thanks Greenstang, sorry about pics, from what I'm reading the 1941 small s is the rare one but still common but has no value unless in ms grade ,but still not much in high grade. It looks like I need to hunt some more to find the 1941 large s.🧐

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For 1941-S, the Large S is more scarce but not truly rare. As always, the answers to such questions may be found at NGC's VarietyPlus site:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/lincoln-cents-wheat-reverse-1909-1958/815592/