• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you safely store you stacks??

17 posts in this topic

What is the best way to store silver if you want to keep it out of the greedy banks/Sam's/criminals hands? Seems like there arent really any options that give any amount of peace of mind. Especially with silver being so bulky lock boxes arent even feasible.

I would store it in a box of Hummels, underneath them. Those things are so worthless and the only people who want to look around in a box of Hummels are elderly ladies who could generally be counted on not to jack your silver (and who mostly couldn't carry off too much even if they did).

10 minutes ago, JKK said:

I would store it in a box of Hummels, underneath them. Those things are so worthless and the only people who want to look around in a box of Hummels are elderly ladies who could generally be counted on not to jack your silver (and who mostly couldn't carry off too much even if they did).

hahah those little porcelains! I dont want to attract a bunch of grandmothers to my silver collection!

So it then appears that paranoia really DOES carry a fiscal price after all.

23 hours ago, ssharktu17 said:

greedy banks/Sam's/criminals hands

Can you hear MY EYES ROLLING from wherever you are? If you are very still, I bet you can.

Storage is a warranted concern for anyone with even marginal wealth especially in physical assets. I’m sure this has never been and never will be an issue for you considering you are so busy trolling forums... hardly a paying career.

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

So it then appears that paranoia really DOES carry a fiscal price after all.

Can you hear MY EYES ROLLING from wherever you are? If you are very still, I bet you can.

9 hours ago, ssharktu17 said:

Storage is a warranted concern for anyone with even marginal wealth especially in physical assets. I’m sure this has never been and never will be an issue for you considering you are so busy trolling forums... hardly a paying career.

The rolling of my eyes comes from merely using the word "stacks".

I've met many a confirmed dedicated "stacker" in my life who obviously was so "silver sick" that he "couldn't afford" many things - like a barber, some deodorant, a shirt that didn't have holes in it, a dentist, oh yeah, and a clue!

Edited by VKurtB

5 hours ago, JKK said:

Seems like if you can afford a million dollars in silver, you can afford ten acres out in the boonies--out of an urban area or military base's likely demolition radius, and outside rationally imaginable flood and seismic activity situations--where you could bury a bunch of it in sealed containers under a boulder. Set up a big tent like you are camping, but cut most of the floor away so none of the local Woolly Swamp brigade can see you digging away. Then dig another hole nearby, worse concealed, containing about eight silver-plated iron bars (if you have a million bucks in silver, you can afford this too), well wrapped. That way, if Team Cletus spies on you and later comes back to take ol' Lucius's money, fair chance they pick the wrong spot and dig up the plated iron.

If you can get hold of a bunch of craptacular cast counterfeit Chinese coins to include, even better. Or a bunch of fake Continental Dollars and 1804 silver dollars (you could buy them on here once a week each or so, perhaps).

Honestly this is fairly useful information. Thanks. So far I had thought of buying a bankrupt bank and just using the entire lockbox room for myself but that would be expensive and I would probably want to operate some sort of business out of it. 

12 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I've met many a confirmed dedicated "stacker" in my life who obviously was so "silver sick" that he "couldn't afford" many things - like a barber, some deodorant, a shirt that didn't have holes in it, a dentist, oh yeah, and a clue!

I can’t disagree with that at least I know for a fact many of them are extreme chain smokers. With that sort of cigarettes expense alone they have to be broke. There is literally 30 years of tar accumulated on a lot of it. I can also admit that while I may have gone a bit too far I have only been in this game for 2 years.

Edited by ssharktu17

10 minutes ago, ssharktu17 said:

Honestly this is fairly useful information. Thanks. So far I had thought of buying a bankrupt bank and just using the entire lockbox room for myself but that would be expensive and I would probably want to operate some sort of business out of it. 

It comes from many of my discussions with precious metal people over the years, most of whom do not believe their own philosophies as shown in various ways. (Not intending any implication toward you from that, just mentioning. You might have noticed the same.)

The small bank idea is not a dumb one at all. I have an adulthood-long friend in the antique business. He recently did an estate sale for a collection housed in a small-town closed-down bank (this was on the Washington coast). You might be able to find such a building with an intact vault, especially in some small dying little town. If you set up the front part as an antique place, and leased it to someone, the town might even love up on you for commercial investment. They'd never need to know that you went full Nelson Bunker Hunt there.

The vaults aren't easy to bust into, even with leisure; I know because I lived near a mall that was being demoed, and the contractors' orders were to stop with the backhoe when they hit the old SecPac branch vault (they would have destroyed its bucket). They had to bring up this huge tracked jackhammer to bust it open, and good lord was that a hell of a way for an unemployed 20something to wake up at 7 AM every day.

Even easier I could open some sort of financing company it would be easy and make sense considering the community would remember it as a financial institution to begin with. 

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

It comes from many of my discussions with precious metal people over the years, most of whom do not believe their own philosophies as shown in various ways. (Not intending any implication toward you from that, just mentioning. You might have noticed the same.)

The small bank idea is not a dumb one at all. I have an adulthood-long friend in the antique business. He recently did an estate sale for a collection housed in a small-town closed-down bank (this was on the Washington coast). You might be able to find such a building with an intact vault, especially in some small dying little town. If you set up the front part as an antique place, and leased it to someone, the town might even love up on you for commercial investment. They'd never need to know that you went full Nelson Bunker Hunt there.

The vaults aren't easy to bust into, even with leisure; I know because I lived near a mall that was being demoed, and the contractors' orders were to stop with the backhoe when they hit the old SecPac branch vault (they would have destroyed its bucket). They had to bring up this huge tracked jackhammer to bust it open, and good lord was that a hell of a way for an unemployed 20something to wake up at 7 AM every day.

17 hours ago, ssharktu17 said:

Even easier I could open some sort of financing company it would be easy and make sense considering the community would remember it as a financial institution to begin with. 

I do believe that the world actually DOES NEED a bullion depository run by an actual bullion fan rather than a bank just trading on people's fears. If I hear of a small community bank going on the block, I'll post here first.