• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a error?

12 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum-

You are going to have to post larger pictures of both sides and indicate what you think is an error. Can't tell anything from the picture supplied. If you crop your pictures, you will be able to increase the size. All that background is unnecessary.

Ok thanks for taking ure time to look at this.. and I am sending some better pics. On the obverse side it appears to be ground. But on the reverse side the Cooper is still around the rim. But there is no rim. And the print is very weak like it wasn't punched all the way? I would really like to know what it  is.. thank you for your time.

IMG_20190915_161500170~2.jpg

IMG_20190915_161258695_HDR~2.jpg

Welcome to the Forum -

What you have is a damaged coin aka PMD ( Post Minting Damage)

It is only an error if it happens during the striking of the coin and what you have is not possible to have happened at that time. If you want to learn what true errors are, study some of the on line sites such as  error-ref.com  This will help you tell the difference between PMD and an error.  Much better pictures by the way.

What would a modern cent look like if you just leisurely rubbed it back and forth over 80 grit sandpaper while watching "Big Bang Theory"? It would look like this coin. Simple.

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

What would a modern cent look like if you just leisurely rubbed it back and forth over 80 grit sandpaper while watching "Big Bang Theory"? It would look like this coin. Simple.

Ya know, I was thinking about the multitude of "is this an error" questions and most generally the result of circulation wear.  I've gone out of my way to purchase some late 1800s circulated pieces in poor condition.  Got this "nice" seated liberty quarter where one side has no details left and the reverse only shows the faintest hint of "QUAR.DOL" at the bottom.  There's no polishing or grinding marks on it so I like to imagine it achieved most wear through circulation, and being a softer silver composition that was easier achieved.  Anyhow....what if people these days getting into coins out of curiosity are just not familiar with honest circulation wear any longer?  I mean, even I rarely carry cash unless it's a half dollar/IKE/SBA I want to drop as a tip somewhere.  So most coinage isn't getting subjected to the same beating that anything prior to 1990 did (best guess for when debit cards started seeing usage increased).

I don't know.  Just a theory why such common circulation beatings are mistaken for errors.

21 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Ya know, I was thinking about the multitude of "is this an error" questions and most generally the result of circulation wear.  I've gone out of my way to purchase some late 1800s circulated pieces in poor condition.  Got this "nice" seated liberty quarter where one side has no details left and the reverse only shows the faintest hint of "QUAR.DOL" at the bottom.  There's no polishing or grinding marks on it so I like to imagine it achieved most wear through circulation, and being a softer silver composition that was easier achieved.  Anyhow....what if people these days getting into coins out of curiosity are just not familiar with honest circulation wear any longer?  I mean, even I rarely carry cash unless it's a half dollar/IKE/SBA I want to drop as a tip somewhere.  So most coinage isn't getting subjected to the same beating that anything prior to 1990 did (best guess for when debit cards started seeing usage increased).

I don't know.  Just a theory why such common circulation beatings are mistaken for errors.

Fascinating hypothesis. I have to give that serious thought.

Hey @CRAWTOMATIC, I've decided "not to participate" in the move to a cashless society. I refuse to use debit cards regularly. I will actively continue to use cash everywhere I go and in all situations possible. Call it "my quest". I intend to push back HARD against this dopey idea, INCLUDING in London this fall, and I hear they are on the very brink of being cashless now. I will push back hard even over there.

33 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Hey @CRAWTOMATIC, I've decided "not to participate" in the move to a cashless society. I refuse to use debit cards regularly. I will actively continue to use cash everywhere I go and in all situations possible. Call it "my quest". I intend to push back HARD against this dopey idea, INCLUDING in London this fall, and I hear they are on the very brink of being cashless now. I will push back hard even over there.

I'd join you but I love running everything through my cards and racking up airline miles for basic everyday purchases.  I'll cheer you on from afar.

1 minute ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

I'd join you but I love running everything through my cards and racking up airline miles for basic everyday purchases.  I'll cheer you on from afar.

I've decided getting hot deal emails about things I've already purchased is a net negative in my life, and my LOWWWWWW interest rate beats any and all mileage offers.

@VKurtB I mean, I hear what you're saying, but I run a net zero daily balance on the 2 credit cards (SWA for domestic miles, AA for international).  So as long as I pay the balance every morning I haven't paid a cent in interest in at least 5 years.  Just running auto insurance, phone bills, electric, groceries, etc...through the cards nets an easy 2,000 miles on each carrier each month with no negative effect to me.  That's not even getting into the manufactured spend part of the game which I haven't tested yet.

Back on topic, not an error.