• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 nickel

6 posts in this topic

If your are asking about the spot on Jefferson's hair, below the arrow, the close-up picture shows a scraped area with pushed-up metal, which indicates a hit by a hard object.

I am not really sure what you are asking about in the picture of the date, but I see nothing that looks like a mint error.

As Just Bob said, you can see the displaced metal from where it has been gouged.

The only way something like this could happen at the Mint is if it were a strike through but then there would be no sign of the metal being displaced.

As far as the date, I always like to show the date of the coin. There is no question about it. That way there is no confusion as to if it is actually from that year or not. 

14 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If your are asking about the spot on Jefferson's hair, below the arrow, the close-up picture shows a scraped area with pushed-up metal, which indicates a hit by a hard object.

I am not really sure what you are asking about in the picture of the date, but I see nothing that looks like a mint error.