• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with a possible error coin penny
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I know a little about coin collecting, but this one is way past my pay grade. I have a Lincoln cent that appears to have multiple strikes on both the front and back. It has 2 different dates on the front strikes. I'm assuming that this has to have been done outside the mint, but I thought I would ask for input from people who are more knowledgeable than me. I uploaded some photos, and would greatly appreciate any opinions.

Thanks in advance. Dan

image(1).jpg

image(2).jpg

image(3).jpg

image.jpg

The reason I think someone just took another penny and hammered on it is the mirror image date, which looks like 1986. A 2016D penny probably did not get a 1980s cent stuck between planchet and die at the mint. Could be that instead of pounding, someone mashed them together in a vise; not sure.

Edited by JKK

Known as a vise job. Three coins are squeezed together leaving the indentation of the outside coins on the middle coin. Easy to tell it was deliberate as the impressions are in reverse

32 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Known as a vise job. Three coins are squeezed together leaving the indentation of the outside coins on the middle coin. Easy to tell it was deliberate as the impressions are in reverse

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your quick response. I suspected something like that was the case.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

The reason I think someone just took another penny and hammered on it is the mirror image date, which looks like 1986. A 2016D penny probably did not get a 1980s cent stuck between planchet and die at the mint. Could be that instead of pounding, someone mashed them together in a vise; not sure.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your quick response.

10 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

You had better stop being all funny and stuff, you'll ruin your reputation.

I am a truly complex personality, Karen. Most people I know in meatspace think I'm a laugh a minute.

1 hour ago, Dukemnm said:

Karen, @VKurtB is an acquired taste. 

I admit I do not care for, not the slightest bit, the current "snowflake" culture, where looking for reasons to take offense has become a true art form. Nothing in 21st century American life annoys me more. Wait. Maybe politically correct speech codes annoy me more. It's close.

Edited by VKurtB

14 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I admit I do not care for, not the slightest bit, the current "snowflake" culture, where looking for reasons to take offense has become a true art form. Nothing in 21st century American life annoys me more. Wait. Maybe politically correct speech codes annoy me more. It's close.

Hey, hey, now. I never mentioned the offended flakes, but I bought the t-shirt and I wear it proudly.