• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Off Center 6 Full Step Jefferson Nickels

6 posts in this topic

For regular Jefferson Nickels, NGC has a Price Guide for full step Nickels. For an Off Center Nickel it may have a greater value because it is an error.  I contend for full step off center nickels, it appears that because of the off center process full steps are actually more common.  It therefore, may have a less value.  The 1996 is a good example.

Can anyone point me to resource to this paradox.  A case in point.  Common knowledge is that a 5 or 6 step 1970 D Jefferson Nickel is rare.  In fact, NGC has zero 5 step and zero 6 step.in their census.  The price guide has a 5 step at $10,000.  But there are no regular nickels in 5 steps.  What if you had a 6 step off center? How do you discount the possibility of their existence and possible ease to occur in the off centering process? It is not a theoretical question and a guide or inventory should exist by now.  See NGC 2683897-002 50% Off Center MS66 6FS.

Michael Morris

If it's not a theoretical question it's one where correlation of one item is being applied to a universe.  Full Steps are a byproduct of both planchet quality (variable within a year) and strike quality (variable within a die).  Off Center strikes are an error/unintended consequence of equipment malfunction.

Additionally, citing NGC population reports only doesn't give the big picture.  1970-D Full Steps:  PCGS = 4 total, ANACS = 7 total

I believe NGC is the toughest on full steps certifications. Quite a few of those 11 at PCGS or ANACS may not be full steps for NGC.

3 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I believe NGC is the toughest on full steps certifications. Quite a few of those 11 at PCGS or ANACS may not be full steps for NGC.

Agree.  Not to mention crossovers/resubmissions where the original label was not returned and deleted from the pop report. 

Honestly I'm presuming at least some success rate in that population though. 

Something else you have to consider is that you are talking about two different types of collector.  The FS collector is looking for an exceptional coin and probably will have minimal interest in an off-center example.  The error collector on the other hand quite possibly doesn't care if it has full steps or not.  So you don't have increased interest from either group.  The result would probably be little or no extra premium for the full steps.

On 8/24/2019 at 2:33 AM, Conder101 said:

Something else you have to consider is that you are talking about two different types of collector.  The FS collector is looking for an exceptional coin and probably will have minimal interest in an off-center example.  The error collector on the other hand quite possibly doesn't care if it has full steps or not.  So you don't have increased interest from either group.  The result would probably be little or no extra premium for the full steps.

Condor101...….I liked your comment to the guy that did not know Mr. Lange.  I read DWLange's  'The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes".

I think you have a nice insight into this pricing/value paradox with the view of the two collectors.  I had not thought about it in that way.  My problem is I am both in Mercury dimes and Jefferson nickels.  Let us assume you are a pure collector of full step/ full band Jefferson nickels and Mercury dimes.  You don't collect errors. You would like a 1970 D full step nickel and/or a 1945 FB mercury dime. To the pure full strike no error collector they are $10,000 each.  Let's say you don't have 10 K, the value to the purist of an off center/broadstruck in FS/FB would be $100?  To the error collector he would sell it for that?

This is fun because NGC grades "non-detailed" FS/FB errors.  Others companies do not.  Michael