• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Liberty Head 5 cents: 1901 & 1902 Type 1&2

2 posts in this topic

So the description reads like something that would be normally attributed during the grading process without an extra varietyplus fee.  Similar to the Eisenhower Type 1 & 2 reverse and Jefferson Reverse of '38/'40, and Washington Type A/B reverses.  I realize it's a minor variety and likely not of great interest to many.  Doesn't look like there's any attributed examples in the census (yet).  Though I was able to identify both reverses in past auction results - results heavily favored the Type 2 reverse for the 1902 issue.

Any thought in changing their status to "No Fee" to start building a census record on survival estimates?  I didn't discern a difference in final sales price for the 2 examples in similar grades so some submitters may be averse to adding on costs during submission.  However, changing the attribution to no fee could generate additional interest in reholdering & special label services.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC charges a fee for distinguishing these varieties because they require routing to the variety attributor. The graders will not be looking for such varieties