• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mistake or good buy?

16 posts in this topic

Hello all,

New to this board and relatively new to coin collecting. Started about a year ago and have quickly accumulated some good pieces. Today I decided to randomly bid on an item that looked like a great deal but in hindsight it isn't from a slab company I recognize so instantly I am debating whether or not I made a mistake. It is an 1858 Seated Liberty Dime that says PR65 on the label but I cannot seem to link the number on the barcode to any grading services I know. Any help in deciding whether or not I just got ripped off would be great. If I did good, I will feel much better about it...lol.

seatedlib.jpg

4 minutes ago, Praeluceo said:

Is it worth sending it in for regrading you guys think or just chalk it up to a learning experience?

Post clear photos of the obverse and reverse and those who are knowledgeable will help with that.

I doubt very much it is a proof. There were only 200 minted and are worth around $4000.00 for a genuinePR65  one.

My concern is whether or not it is genuine. Will need a clear photo to say for sure. Just photograph the coin only.

PS- Never buy from a basement slabber. Even eBay won't list them

Edited by Greenstang

33 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

I am not sure it is even a proof … :/

I'm looking at the pictures on my phone, so the quality isn't the best, but that was exactly what I thought.

It is definitely not a 65 by any means and the pictures really make me doubt it is a proof either. This is not my series so will let someone else more knowledgeable on the subject chime in. In the meantime here is a link to a website that may be helpful (Link to 1858 proof dime info). The interesting thing will be to look at the 5 once you get in hand.

10 minutes ago, Praeluceo said:

Well lesson learned. I paid about 400 for this coin. If I regrade it and get the MS grading that is correct will I at least not be taking a massive hit?

I would give it AU-50. I don't see how you get an MS grade with that much obvious wear in the fields. Sorry you paid that much tuition, but in the long run if you learn all the available lessons, then you won't make the same mistakes again--and the mistakes you dodge later could be bigger ones.

13 hours ago, Conder101 said:

They rarely bodybag anymore, it would get a details designation.

Yeah mistaken term on my part - I have been around too long OR not enough :-)

On the larger point of these types of coins, Philadelphia produced BOTH proofs AND prooflike business strikes. It can take an educated eye to discern the difference. I have one I want looked at, and like a doofus I forgot to take it to Chicago to let the Liberty Seated club guys look at it. Next time.