• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 lincoln

5 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on the R in liberty on this '83. I know it's not possible but almost looks like R over B. I do know that the planchet has what appears bubbles on which may have caused this. Thanks again for your very informative info. 

IMG_20190811_174015196.jpg

IMG_20190811_174003903.jpg

Sun Aug 11 17-35-45.jpg

22 minutes ago, Kevin Simpson said:

I do know that the planchet has what appears bubbles on which may have caused this.

I think you nailed it there.

While on the subject of 1983 Lincolns, can you explain to me why some die breaks like the '22 Peace Dollar are valued more than others I've noticed that on the reverse of the '83 Lincoln cent there seems to be a number of them some of which are major especially on the corners of the Memorial. There are one ,two, three or even four. They're not on all coins of course but I have for quite a few. Being a novice it does confuse me. Any explanation on the subject would be appreciated.     

Simple answer: being included in the Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Coins) makes a variety desirable to collectors who want to have a complete set of a certain series of coins. Additionally, Morgan and Peace dollar varieties are given VAM numbers ( The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Leroy Van Allen and George Mallis. The term VAM is derived from the first initials of Van Allen's and Mallis' last names.), which make them desirable to silver dollar collectors.

Demand = Value.

Thank you Just Bob for answering my question. It's so refreshing to have people like you who will take the time to help all of us who are new to the hobby to understand  some of the ins and outs of the different coins. Let's face it there are so many things going on with these coins and can be very confusing. I thank all of you with your knowledge.