• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 nickel possibly silver planchet error
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I know there's no way of weighing these. There supposed to weigh 5.0. But can you tell by looking at them. The one on the left is looking like silver. If there's and different way of knowing,  it would be appreciated. I can use any other suggestions. Thanks 

20190802_195706.jpg

I have looked for that year nickel and everything looking for a mint error for that coin hoping to find a war time silver nickel on a 1946 non silver. In this case regarding your nickel I am sad to say it is not. Obviously your gonna see a mint mark above the Monticello but circulated silver war nickels will have a Grayish blue color and if you do a unadvised drop test you will hear the sound it has a Loud PING to it. But in your case I say go ahead and give it a drop and then drop a 1944 war nickel and hear the difference 

19 minutes ago, TON Collection said:

I have looked for that year nickel and everything looking for a mint error for that coin hoping to find a war time silver nickel on a 1946 non silver. In this case regarding your nickel I am sad to say it is not. Obviously your gonna see a mint mark above the Monticello but circulated silver war nickels will have a Grayish blue color and if you do a unadvised drop test you will hear the sound it has a Loud PING to it. But in your case I say go ahead and give it a drop and then drop a 1944 war nickel and hear the difference 

Thanks Ton, I tried the drop test it has a ping to it. Then dropped the other one on the right shown in the pic and it sounded like a thud. Once I find my 1944 I'll try it again. I don't know where I seen it but while back I seen a photo that was graded by pcgs, and it didn't have the mint mark above Monticello. Hmmmm now I'm wondering where I put my 1944 nickel lol.

47 minutes ago, TON Collection said:

You're right it has that loud ping. They almost sound alike. But better in the 1944. I was kinda looking at what silver ones look like,but can't go by what the coin looks like from seeing how the wear looks. But this is what made me think it was silver by looking at the 1944. I won't go by that again lol.

20190802_231228.jpg

LOOKING at the coins is never going to be conclusive, a specific gravity test or shooting it with an XRF gun will the only way to be sure.

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

LOOKING at the coins is never going to be conclusive, a specific gravity test or shooting it with an XRF gun will the only way to be sure.

You know I don't know we're these  answers come from try books and weigh it bring it to a dealer. This is not complicated

4 minutes ago, MIKE BYRNE said:

You know I don't know we're these  answers come from try books and weigh it bring it to a dealer. This is not complicated

I understand what you're saying, but the book says nickel weighs the same silver or not. And I would take it to a dealer but in my case it's very slim. I have to travel 3 to 4hours to one. But thought I can get some feedback or suggestions on another way of doing this. So in my situation it is kind of complicated. It's all good though. Thanks 

6 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Thanks Conder, theres a little jewelry shop close by, I'll check and see if he has the right equipment to test this coin for me.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:26 AM, Hinkle said:

I understand what you're saying, but the book says nickel weighs the same silver or not. And I would take it to a dealer but in my case it's very slim. I have to travel 3 to 4hours to one. But thought I can get some feedback or suggestions on another way of doing this. So in my situation it is kind of complicated. It's all good though. Thanks 

Austerity the coin!!! It's dosage get any eiser. Check your red book see the weight and put it in a ten dollar weight. It will tell you immediately. Jewlers well exactly thatl. Chains rings. Coins they might have one display case but there not a dealer. Go to a dealer but a red book and weigh it it. It doesn't get any simpler.

6 hours ago, MIKE BYRNE said:

Go to a dealer but a red book and weigh it it. It doesn't get any simpler.

Mike, weighing the coin will do no good. A war nickel should weigh 5 grams which is the same weight of a 1946 nickel. Not to mention traveling 3 hours to a dealer would be a wasted trip when a rebook can be purchased online and would be essentially useless for the original question. 

And he is saying he is going to a jeweler because they would probably be able to do a specific gravity test, and might have an XRF gun.  It is a lot more sensible to check the local jeweler first to see if he has the equipment that to drive three hours to see if the closest coin dealer does.

17 hours ago, coinsandmedals said:

Mike, weighing the coin will do no good. A war nickel should weigh 5 grams which is the same weight of a 1946 nickel. Not to mention traveling 3 hours to a dealer would be a wasted trip when a rebook can be purchased online and would be essentially useless for the original question. 

Then send it in to a grading company. A planchet is long there fed into the machine and at the end you have a strip of circles. If it's silver it's melted. So I wish yours is  good. But if you think  thats yours is the only one it can't be because these planchects are long.. I hope you found a rarity. Think of it.  Yes it will cost money then bring it to a metal expert and pay for the rest it's the only way you will ever know. I'm hoping your right. I really am. Stranger things have happenedd. Good luck. Let us know. If the magazines don't. Again best of luck. Mike

17 hours ago, coinsandmedals said:

So unfortunately the jewelry store had no xrf gun. But i caught another 1946 that I had ,weighed way under then the other 46 and 44. The 44 weighs 4.82. The jewelry guy said that this 46 in the pic could be possibly a fake coin. Idk But long story short I'm going to the bigger city here in a week or two to a dealer that has an xrf gun. Hopefully he doesn't charge to much lol.

20190812_103553.jpg