• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Triple Die or MD

4 posts in this topic

Seems that there appear to be a number of issues with these new quarters. Can anyone tell me if  this is a triple die or a MD. I'm finding at least in this roll, doubling on a number of coins but I think are MD. This one however has a lot more detail. Any opinions would be appreciated. Sorry for so many questions. I think by your information I can tell the MD at least. I'm still learning however. Thanks again.  

IMG_20190728_112443211.jpg

IMG_20190728_112426173.jpg

Sun Jul 28 10-34-40.jpg

Not a Triple Die, It's known as  Triple MD. The Die may have been loose and bounced twice when it was released.

DD on modern coins happens towards the centre of the coin, not the edges. This due to the introduction of the Single-Squeeze Hubbing introduced in the mid 90's so it is safe to say that (nearly ?) all doubling around the edges is MD.

Edited by Greenstang
Reworded