• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 nickel

7 posts in this topic

1936 bufffalo I got today along with other silver coins for just a buck. Any idea what its value may be? Also have some without a date. Along with an 1890 liberty head nickel. Reverse barely shows the V. 

20190728_022221.jpg

20190728_022205.jpg

First of all, those coins are not silver, they are a nickel/copper alloy. 

The Buffalo's would not have much value above face if the dates are not showing and the 1936 has been badly cleaned. (Condition means a lot for value)

The 1890 Liberty Head being so badly worn might bring a couple of dollars as a hole filler.

For a buck though, you didn't lose much.

The biggest value in that 36 is if it sparks interest in the series or collecting.  That's the most common year to find and in that condition would be tough to sell.  Those I like to throw in as bonus items for newbies or use in actual transactions just to spread the love.

BTW, glad you got some Buffalo's in hand.  They're pretty awesome.

59 minutes ago, Tridmn said:

Wish I could find out what years the other 2 are. Any way of doing that without damaging the coin?

No. However, there is a way of doing it while minimally damaging the coin. I don't recommend it unless you are a very precise person. Most people are generally sloppy, as a general life approach, and figure close enough is good enough in most things. In this case, a sloppy approach may show you the date but only for a few seconds, then never again.