• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 d steel penny error
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I found another one of these, my question is the 4 and 3 in the date is that called erosion, like the 80s and 90s. Also his nose looks like something they pushed to hard on the strike,  Hmmmm interesting. Idk what would be your thoughts. 

20190713_192020.jpg

20190713_192424.jpg

I believe this quote, by D W Lange, is appropriate in this situation:

" That coin has a form of doubling commonly seen on 1943 cents that resulted from the erosive effects of the plated planchets. A line from the duplicate ... image toward the primary one points directly at the center of the coin, confirming that it is simply a result of die erosion. This is commonly seen on both the date and mintmark, always in the same direction away from the center. "

I am assuming that die erosion is also the reason for the ridge at the upper right of the obverse, and the one on top of the reverse, both of which could be mistaken for die cracks. I would like to get a second opinion on those.

Thanks again, I saw a few on line that looks like the same in the date. It is actually common hmmmm. This is why I post here with you guy's, you all are on point when it comes to some interesting coins. How about the nose is that the same too. Because I saw on Ebay a guy selling one like mine witch is the same going on in the date, and also the nose . But the nose on this coin looks more dented in then his was.