• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 penny possibly error
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Could this be another environmental damage or color toning. I know they did some crazy stuff on the 70s coins. The front looks like a really glossy  and almost mirror like red proof coin. If so wouldn't there be an S mint mark. Wondering if this is an error. Hmmmm strange. Haha.

20190709_195300.jpg

Hi Hinkle,

Well, what I think you have on your hands after reviewing your photos is a 1972 Philly Cent that someone polished one side of for some strange reason.  People do weird stuff to coins sometimes, as I'm sure you're beginning to see in your hunting.  I don't see anything that indicates an error to me from the photos, unfortunately.

As always, I hope that this helps you some!

~Tom

7 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Hi Hinkle,

Well, what I think you have on your hands after reviewing your photos is a 1972 Philly Cent that someone polished one side of for some strange reason.  People do weird stuff to coins sometimes, as I'm sure you're beginning to see in your hunting.  I don't see anything that indicates an error to me from the photos, unfortunately.

~Tom

That is funny,  I was thinking that too when I was checking it out. I'm also pretty sure someone did. I don't understand why people do that. 

3 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

That is funny,  I was thinking that too when I was checking it out. I'm also pretty sure someone did. I don't understand why people do that. 

I wish I understood it myself, Hinkle.  I think that there are as many reasons that people mess with coins as there are different people in the world.

59 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Hi Hinkle,

~Tom

45 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I wish I understood it myself, Hinkle.  I think that there are as many reasons that people mess with coins as there are different people in the world.

Ooo, ooo, ooo... I know this one! 

If you're collecting them in a blue album, you want them to look pretty... but you only see the obverse so there's no reason to bother with the reverse.

5 minutes ago, Thompson2 said:

Ooo, ooo, ooo... I know this one! 

If you're collecting them in a blue album, you want them to look pretty... but you only see the obverse so there's no reason to bother with the reverse.

Thompson,

In the case of Hinkle's coin, I think you nailed it.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had one of the really old-school Whitman folders that told them to take a pencil eraser to the obverses of their coins to make them all shiny and pretty.

11 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Thompson,

In the case of Hinkle's coin, I think you nailed it.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had one of the really old-school Whitman folders that told them to take a pencil eraser to the obverses of their coins to make them all shiny and pretty.

lol That took me back to when I was a kid, Taking an eraser and showing it off to my friends saying that I had just gotten it from the bank. Or putting dollars bills in the between the encyclopedia pages to make them look crisp. :D. you know, Just showing off. :roflmao: