• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Since there have been so many "errors" posted...

8 posts in this topic

I figured I'd toss one of my up.  I'm guessing it's not (and for some reason I couldn't find the more dramatic example I thought I had), but what the hell...  this was found in a SF mint bag with a bunch of other rolls... There were several with similar defects in similar areas, so it's not just PMD.  I'm guessing this is a case of gunk in the die.  I'm also guessing it doesn't add to the value... 

What says the peanut gallery? :) 

524422000_68-SlightE-close.thumb.jpg.0124d7574736b8640ee81cc82cae7a39.jpg

And for giggles, the full obverse and reverse (if they'll both fit in one).  Probably should have kept them, but I broke a toe on the box and it pissed me off.... 

68-S light E- obv.jpg

68-S light E- rev.jpg

Looks like a partially grease filled die. Not really enough for a premium but keep until a better one comes along.

Also nice photos. Easy to see the details.

I am going to offer a different opinion.

The area that is showing weakness on the reverse is directly opposite Lincoln's shoulder on the obverse, which is an area of high relief. I believe that there was not sufficient metal to flow into both the shoulder and the letters, and this made the letters not strike up fully. The mint lowered the relief the following year, and in later years, as well, but the problem persisted. I recall finding these (new) in circulation in the mid 80s.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just Bob is absolutely correct. The high relief of Lincoln's arm and shoulder often precluded full striking of the legends opposite them on the reverse. The U. S. Mint has addressed this problem by progressively lowering the cent's relief starting in 1969. In 1984 this part of the obverse hub was "hollowed" so that Lincoln's arm is nearly concave, and that went a long way toward fixing the issue.

Nice!  Learned something new today.  And the lack of metal available would also explain the versions of this I found that had much larger affected areas.  As far as affecting the AM... 

Glad it's not a super rare, pricey defect - I unloaded the bulk of the stash that this came from.  xD

Edited by Thompson2

7 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Also nice photos. Easy to see the details.

Thanks!  Still working on that...color is still off... this is a lot more red than it shows up.  

So I went looking for the more pronounced example of this and instead found this and it totally distracted me.... do you see it?  I did give a non-so-subtle hint, so it's not quite as much of a where's waldo moment... but still... the geek in me thinks this is pretty cool, even though I'm sure it has no added value (and there's fair chance I'm imagining it... :insane: )

649466755_68Swithshadow.thumb.jpg.02a34ecc8b160d182ac57583dd83c3e9.jpg

653124371_68SShadow.thumb.JPG.938c148381adf12bb901751d9d07855b.JPG

Edited by Thompson2