• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 d penny error
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Idk but could this be a grease die. I posted one back before that had alot of letters missing. But this one isn't really that bad.

20190707_085212.jpg

20190707_085240.jpg

Possible. I don't see all the collateral damage one would expect if the letters had been ground off somehow. And since the coin is otherwise lightly worn (if dinged here and there), any such damage would likely show.

You have this one right on, Hinkle.  It's a partially grease filled die which is the cause of what you are seeing with your coin.

I know these aren't worth anything. I saved my other one the 1970 d. And put it in a 2x2. Are they worth saving,or are they just good to have for a conversation piece. I guess I'm at the point know with alot of errors I've indeed up with what I should  do. I've been told to sit on them until something comes up in the future. I like to have and not sell them. I feel like its good educational to my kids and others that are interested in the hobby. Like the 1988 with the 89 reverse. Some day could that be like the 1943 copper. Because just a handful was made. I guess I might be thinking a little a head here. But just curious. I get a few responses out of a few people about some of the stuff I have and really make me think about it . But I'm telling myself never know what might happen later down the line.

Even if they aren't worth anything, you learn more about coins and can better discern valuable errors from routine flubs, so it's worth your time.

19 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

I know these aren't worth anything. I saved my other one the 1970 d. And put it in a 2x2. Are they worth saving,or are they just good to have for a conversation piece. I guess I'm at the point know with alot of errors I've indeed up with what I should  do. I've been told to sit on them until something comes up in the future. I like to have and not sell them. I feel like its good educational to my kids and others that are interested in the hobby. Like the 1988 with the 89 reverse. Some day could that be like the 1943 copper. Because just a handful was made. I guess I might be thinking a little a head here. But just curious. I get a few responses out of a few people about some of the stuff I have and really make me think about it . But I'm telling myself never know what might happen later down the line.

I think that if you like something, there is nothing wrong with holding onto it.  Also, having a few examples of things like grease filled dies and machine doubling can be great educational and reference pieces.  When you have a coin that you find later that may have a grease filled die, for example, you'll have an example of a coin from a grease filled die handy for comparison.  As far as the 1988 with the Rev of 89, it's a good coin that has great growth potential but I doubt it will ever reach the heights of the 1943 copper cent.  The 1943 copper cent has a much better marketing department that's been at work for about seventy years promoting it.  Also, I don't believe that the 1988 Rev of 89 is actually as scarce as the 1943 coppers as the 1943 coppers resulted from leftover planchets in the production line, of which there were very few.  The 1988 Rev of 89 varieties were the result of a reverse die of a particular design being introduced early, which means that those dies, though they were few in number, likely had full production runs.  At least one reverse die was used early at both the Philly and Denver Mints, but it could have been more.  I doubt we'll ever really know the true number.  I'm unsure of how many coins a cent die can strike now, but I'd imagine it's at least in the hundreds of thousands (maybe someone else can jump in here and help me out here), so the original production numbers of the 1943 copper cents were likely in the double digits while the original production on 1988 Rev of 1989 cent was at least in the six digits, if not seven.  That's rare in the context of modern cents for sure, but not at a level that compares to the 1943 coppers.  But you're right about one thing.....you never know what may happen down the line, which is part of what makes this hobby so much fun!  My own personal journey within it has been a long story with several twists and turns which has resulted, after 20 years, in me finding an area of collecting that truly fulfills me and will for the long term, having a fun little eBay sales venture that uses the knowledge I gained from things that I used to collect to fund my collecting now and being a part of a great community that adds even more to my enjoyment with the place I'm now at.  You, too, are writing your own story in the hobby right now, Hinkle, and who knows what the next chapters will be for your story?  One thing is for sure, it'll be interesting to find out!

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

Even if they aren't worth anything, you learn more about coins and can better discern valuable errors from routine flubs, so it's worth your time.

Thanks JKK, I guess I'm bouncing around trying to figure out if people are mostly into the varieties that people know about or errors that certain people are looking for. But don't get me wrong ,finding this kind of stuff makes me push harder to find cool coins. And I'm stubborn headed in keeping going in something i find that i love to do. This has been a lot of fun for me. 

3 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

I think that if you like something, there is nothing wrong with holding onto it.  Also, having a few examples of things like grease filled dies and machine doubling can be great educational and reference pieces.  When you have a coin that you find later that may have a grease filled die, for example, you'll have an example of a coin from a grease filled die handy for comparison.  As far as the 1988 with the Rev of 89, it's a good coin that has great growth potential but I doubt it will ever reach the heights of the 1943 copper cent.  The 1943 copper cent has a much better marketing department that's been at work for about seventy years promoting it.  Also, I don't believe that the 1988 Rev of 89 is actually as scarce as the 1943 coppers as the 1943 coppers resulted from leftover planchets in the production line, of which there were very few.  The 1988 Rev of 89 varieties were the result of a reverse die of a particular design being introduced early, which means that those dies, though they were few in number, likely had full production runs.  At least one reverse die was used early at both the Philly and Denver Mints, but it could have been more.  I doubt we'll ever really know the true number.  I'm unsure of how many coins a cent die can strike now, but I'd imagine it's at least in the hundreds of thousands (maybe someone else can jump in here and help me out here), so the original production numbers of the 1943 copper cents were likely in the double digits while the original production on 1988 Rev of 1989 cent was at least in the six digits, if not seven.  That's rare in the context of modern cents for sure, but not at a level that compares to the 1943 coppers.  But you're right about one thing.....you never know what may happen down the line, which is part of what makes this hobby so much fun!  My own personal journey within it has been a long story with several twists and turns which has resulted, after 20 years, in me finding an area of collecting that truly fulfills me and will for the long term, having a fun little eBay sales venture that uses the knowledge I gained from things that I used to collect to fund my collecting now and being a part of a great community that adds even more to my enjoyment with the place I'm now at.  You, too, are writing your own story in the hobby right now, Hinkle, and who knows what the next chapters will be for your story?  One thing is for sure, it'll be interesting to find out!

Thanks Tom, I'm learning more about coins than I ever had before I started. You're right the next chapter will be interesting. 

Welcome to the Forum mikeromero.

If your asking are they partially grease filled dies, then the answer is no. There is nothing missing on the obverse of those coins. Instead of showing two pictures of the obverse, show both sides of the coin because there may be something about the reverse that needs addressing. The only reason to keep them would be because they are copper.