• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this 1996 D penny a find or garbage. Close Am

8 posts in this topic

Hello to all and happy 4😎.anyway I had to see if I found a close Am 1996D.with a few errors as you can see there is even a D at the bottom of the the mint mark next to Lincoln. Its like a punched though and a die crack together. Because the coin has a bent under the date form.well please let me know what you think, because I need help😀 lol. Thank you for  all viewed and replied 

2019-07-04-10-03-23-645.jpg

2019-07-04-10-03-50-200.jpg

4 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

All 1996 business strikes are CAM.

Everything else is damage.

Greenstang is correct. The Close AM's are only good on 1992 business strikes and proofs from 1998 and 1999.  All business strike cents from 1993 to 2008 are supposed to be Close AM's and all proofs from 1994 to 2008 are supposed to be Wide AM's.

As usual, these guys are correct. I will just add this: while it is not impossible for a coin to have both damage and a genuine mint error (or be a variety), in most cases, if a coin has obvious damage to one part, then what appears to be an error on another part will be a result of that damage. In other words, if your coin has been run over in a parking lot, those probably aren't extra numbers or letters that you see. They are just damage that resembles something familiar.

And "Happy 4th" back at you, R420.

Edited by Just Bob

Once again thanks for saving methehead ache 😀 .yet ! I truly wanted to know about this year.because I really truly found a 1996 d copper penny weight 3.2

1562514869152765308551.jpg

1 hour ago, R420coins said:

Once again thanks for saving methehead ache 😀 .yet ! I truly wanted to know about this year.because I really truly found a 1996 d copper penny weight 3.2

1562514869152765308551.jpg

Hi R420Coins.....I think I can provide an answer on this one.  That's not a 1996-D cent.  It's a 1976-D cent.  The D mint mark is all wrong for a 1996-D coin and you can see the stem of the 7 extending down in a relatively straight line that is unlike the curve of a 9.  The obverse hub is also different than what would be seen on a 1996 dated coin.  So, it's nothing unusual.  Just a damaged 1976-D Lincoln of the copper alloy.

Thanks again guys . Sometimes I think I found something it's a blank!  Its still nice to chase the thrill ;). Oh! If a letter is clearly seen, which is not part of the word .would that be a error or damage?  Say if liberty was had a clear S. Next to the L spelling sliberty. If you care to see .its the 1960 d penny on the edge of the coin .thanks a bunch guys