• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PMV Pro Measures through NGC capsules (fake $50 Buffalo)?

3 posts in this topic

I blame you guys/gals, but I'm looking at a $50 gold buffalo that's being offered a few bucks over melt.  In the pics the details look a little lacking (they're not the greatest pics), but the seller shows it sitting on a PMV Pro in the capsule and it's showing it's good.  There are two things that are kind of odd about the measurements are that the weight is 1.00OzT (in the capsule) and the thickness is under 2mm, but I *think* it's supposed to be much closer to 3..

It's in an NGC capsule and the ID matches the coin description...

So - can the PMV Pro measure reliably through the capsules and how hard is it to fake them out?  Screen clip of the shot the guy sent me.

buffalo.thumb.JPG.75247bd30a6094fd7ba66ec52f4208c7.JPG

Edited by Thompson2

How do you know that is the coin you would get? It doesn't show the front of the holder with the certification number nor does it show the coin. Also those Gold Buffalos usually sell for around $2000.00, well above spot.

Do you have a clear picture of the front and back of the coin? Also I'm not sure you can take a reading through a capsule bit I'm not too knowledgable in that area.

Edited by Greenstang

6 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

How do you know that is the coin you would get? It doesn't show the front of the holder with the certification number nor does it show the coin. Also those Gold Buffalos usually sell for around $2000.00, well above spot.

Do you have a clear picture of the front and back of the coin? Also I'm not sure you can take a reading through a capsule bit I'm not too knowledgable in that area.

I do have pics of front / back of the coin in the case and NGC cert number.  Got lazy and didn't bother to include them... but here they are..  I removed the cert number since I don't know what the etiquette is for that...  

Buffalo 1.JPG

Buffalo 2.JPG