• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 d nickel
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Anybody have any suggestions on the 2009 nickels. I know they have low mintage on the P and D. I wouldn't think they would be rare. Because it's  still alot that was put out there with the kind of mintage that was produced. 

20190701_201138.jpg

Plus there's a ton that were hoarded by those in the hobby.  I think it'd be like any of the other low mintage series+mm from the 50's on.  Since we're on nickels, the 50-D is a good example of hobbyists knowing the low mintage and storing away many more gem copies than meets demand.  

I think I plucked 2009's out of circulation before but no longer do. I think circulated copies serve more purpose as spending money than numismatic value.

I think Craw is right on here....the 2009's were hoarded pretty much right out of the gate.  There's a ton of them lurking in hoards, waiting to be unleashed upon the world at some point.  The 1950-D is a great comparison piece and there were far fewer of those struck than either of the 2009 nickels.  I'd just spend it.

Had an old guy come in to work and asked what he should do with this treasure of his ( 2 rolls P&D ) ... He was shocked when I told him to spend them.

:/

7 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Had an old guy come in to work and asked what he should do with this treasure of his ( 2 rolls P&D ) ... He was shocked when I told him to spend them.

:/

There is way too much hype about the 2009 nickels and dimes.  I strongly suspect that the TV sellers and those people that make sensationalist coin vids on YouTube are largely to blame for this unfortunate situation.  I honestly feel that some of these YouTubers are doing even more damage to the hobby than the TV guys now....I despise the YouTube coin videos because of it.

Edited by Mohawk

I have am In God We Rust Nickel. Old what year so probably shoulda kept it to myself. But I wanted to say that the 09 rolls are already being sold for outrageous prices on eBay.

15 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

I have am In God We Rust Nickel. Old what year so probably shoulda kept it to myself. But I wanted to say that the 09 rolls are already being sold for outrageous prices on eBay.

I really think anyone who buys rolls of 2009 nickels or dimes at those prices is going to be very sorry one day.  The mintages aren't that low, they're only low in the context of a modern US coin.  There are Jeffersons from the 1960's with similar mintages that I see in my change all the time and that are very low value in uncirculated condition.  I have no reason to think that the 2009's will be any different.

Edited by Mohawk

Well you can believe I'm not buying any. I have rolls of 62, 63, and 65 waiting to go through. But there are so many known DD's that idew start. I did have nearly an entire roll of 70D that have severe breaks in the head area as well as various other places and Lamination Errors, at least two major breaks and some other error on each coin. One even has a break the splits off like tree branches. I guess it's a good thing I like that kind of stuff. I feel like the Queen of LAMs. Lol! Plus Nickels are great. My most odd finds are on Nickels.

On 7/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, Mohawk said:

The 1950-D is a great comparison piece and there were far fewer of those struck than either of the 2009 nickels.  I

The 1959 is another good comparison piece,  It had the next smallest mintage and is close to that of the 2009 P and about half that of the 2009 D.  They were NOT subject to massive hoarding like the 2009 coins were.  Nearly 60 years later the 59 in MS is still worth very little.  There are a LOT more hoarded 2009's in MS than there are MS 1959's.  So the chance that the 2009's will be worth much in the future is rather bleak.

That is a great comparison Conder, you're absolutely right.  I actually see 1959 Philly nickels in change fairly regularly, too, so some of these have clearly been dumped out into circulation.  I really think the day will come when many of these 2009 coins are finally dumped into circulation and the true "rarity" of these pieces will come to light.  It's the 1959 all over again.