• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991D Lincoln Cent

12 posts in this topic

Can someone please look and tell me what the marks that are raised are? I know the other marks are damage but I can’t seem to make out the raised areas on the obverse. Also the G in IGWT looks crazy .Lastly it looks like doubling on the first 9 in date, the G in IGWT and doubling around top of his hair your thoughts are appreciated as always 

>Tracy 

4FF6E80A-C639-4503-A541-EB76DAF8B774.jpeg

660458A0-70C8-4F1C-B9F4-61AAA7CB232E.jpeg

84C4DB1B-F3B1-4BC9-A326-B638381622CB.jpeg

7415E3DD-A926-4F9E-B164-6CDB84958C92.jpeg

It looks like to me to contain some lamination marks, but also a lot of it looks like damage especially when you compare the rim. I had one kind of the same way recently & it was caused at least the oddest parts by other cents striking either in a coin feeder or through circulation.... hope it helps a little.

Travis

0C2A5706-C610-48E8-81B5-F3CDAFE4ABE3.jpeg

3EF34786-0309-4AFA-B89B-F60D8FF4E4AF.jpeg

Those raised marks are plating bubbles. Eventually they will increase in size and break then zinc rot will set in. I think that is what is on the G also.

I don't see any doubling on the first nine.

Hi Tracy,

I'm with Greenstang...I think you have plating bubbles and post minting damage.  Those are what are making your coin look the way it does.  I think that the first 9 looks fatter because of either PMD or possibly machine doubling.

As always, I hope that this helps some!

~Tom

2 hours ago, Hess4 said:

As always Thank you both for your input it is always appreciated and helpful!

>Tracy 

And, as always, you are very welcome.  It's a real pleasure to help a new collector who has the passion for coins and learning about them that you do.  Keep hunting!!

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk