• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If not a penny struck on dime, then what?

6 posts in this topic

Is it more probable that the penny sat in a convenient store parking lot and was run over a few times or that a dime planchet made it into production for cents?

I'd rule out the highly probable chain of events before starting at the rare occurrence.

BTW, after '82 they're all copper plated zinc so the grey coloring is expected.

Edited by CRAWTOMATIC
grammar

If it was a cent struck on a dime planchet, it would be nickel coloured and

smaller than a cent. Something has just  removed the copper plating from

the rim exposing the zinc core. As crawtomatic suggested, possibly a parking lot coin.

12 minutes ago, Morakai said:

Thank you kindly. Yes I'm still a bit gun ho on the rare finding. It's pretty neat how it ended up. 

Anytime.  There's a saying I heard years ago that I repeat in my head sometimes to control those feelings and stay humble, "Rare coins are rare."

But looking at the coin again I started thinking of high points.  See in those images where the zinc is exposed on the hair & shoulders as well?  Those are high points on the obverse (along with the beard).  When you get to the point where you're looking at higher condition Lincoln Memorial Cents those are the area's you'll want to look at closely for rub, wear, friction marks.

I may go sacrifice one of each of the coins in circulation by laying them flat and rubbing them on a hard surface just to use as a visual training tool for my son.