• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone seen this before?

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 1865 shield nickel to my knowledge they were not produced until 1866 so while looking thru a old container of mine found a 1865 5 shield nickel but I cannot pull up any information on it so your input will be very appreciated 

20190503_215747.jpg

Kinda hard for me to see the date pretty worn down, that last digit doesn’t look like a 5 . Perhaps 1866 with last digit 6 being worn badly looks like a 5, or 1868 ? Doesn’t look like a 5 to me I looked at pictures on my IPhone maybe a better images on iPad or my laptop .. 

11 hours ago, Mason254 said:

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 1865 shield nickel to my knowledge they were not produced until 1866 so while looking thru a old container of mine found a 1865 5 shield nickel but I cannot pull up any information on it so your input will be very appreciated 

Well its pretty easy to deduce as RAYS version was only 66-67

It does not look like a 7 - so I would think 1866 is the answer

3 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Well its pretty easy to deduce as RAYS version was only 66-67

It does not look like a 7 - so I would think 1866 is the answer

I'm with you.....1866.