• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878 s Morgan dollar
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to send this coin in to ngc to get graded. But reading in a couple of other post, I feel it won't grade high to the point that mine has scratches and scuffs on the face and neck of liberty. And a nick on the rim. I also have a die crack on the lettering of god. I'm going to send it anyways so I have something in a holder from a coin company, such as NGC. I look at the NGC charts for the 1878 s Morgans. Mine is is easily ms66. I would be happy with ms64. There's ms66s and ms67s that are in worse conditions than mine. If it's true back in that day the dollar coins didn't come in rolls they came in bags. So it was really  easily to get nicked or scuffed and scratched. But really excited to do this and get good results back on this coin.🤔

20190430_080609.jpg

I don't think it will get 63. 58 would not shock me, but I think 62 is the most likely outcome. That said, good luck.

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

I don't think it will get 63. 58 would not shock me, but I think 62 is the most likely outcome. That said, good luck.

Thank you JKK,  either way I'll be happy. Just something to show in my office. 😁

On 5/2/2019 at 10:59 PM, Hinkle said:

I'm getting ready to send this coin in to ngc to get graded. But reading in a couple of other post, I feel it won't grade high to the point that mine has scratches and scuffs on the face and neck of liberty. And a nick on the rim. I also have a die crack on the lettering of god. I'm going to send it anyways so I have something in a holder from a coin company, such as NGC. I look at the NGC charts for the 1878 s Morgans. Mine is is easily ms66. I would be happy with ms64. There's ms66s and ms67s that are in worse conditions than mine. If it's true back in that day the dollar coins didn't come in rolls they came in bags. So it was really  easily to get nicked or scuffed and scratched. But really excited to do this and get good results back on this coin.🤔

Well as long as you are happy with whatever outcome, that is good for you.

"S" mint morgan's usually have extremely hard hits on the breast feathers making them a very distinctive coin.

Yours have been almost completely worn off even with it being a concave breast type.

Add in the rim hit and the "liberty's " in ability to shave properly ( marks on the cheek :) )  

AU58-MS61 is about good for this coin if it doesn't get a details grade for the rim ding / and scratch over "god"

Good Luck let us know how you make out

For reference purposes in case you didn't realize 

j

Edited by jgrinz