• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pcgs cleaning

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1909 s vdb that I was considering submitting to pcgs.the coin is ms66 very red,nice eye appeal but on the reverse is sorta swipe of light color.what is your opinion on pcgs,s cleaning service they do while grading.is it worth getting a copper coin done by them or should I STAY AWAY and just stay with the grading alone.thanks

Since NGC also performs coin conservation and grading, I am curious why you would ask about a competitor's service on an NGC chat board. Why did you not ask this question on the PCGS boards?

I would get any 1909 S VDB graded whether here (NGC) or PCGS if you already have a membership with them. 

I am concerned about your summary though.  How do you know it's an MS66?  Whatever you do - don't clean it yourself.  The top grading companies offer conservation services which make sense under the right circumstances.

Are you sure it's a legit S VDB?  These have been faked for many years.  The following is a great resource to verify yours is indeed a real example:  https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5217/Counterfeit-1909-S-VDB-Lincoln-Cents/

Picture of the coin would be a little helpful ... if it already graded at MS66 I would leave it in the holder , or unless you assume it going to get MS66 grade which is difficult grade to get on early year Lincoln cents 

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Since NGC also performs coin conservation and grading, I am curious why you would ask about a competitor's service on an NGC chat board. Why did you not ask this question on the PCGS boards?

Agreed on all counts, Bob.

17 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Agreed on all counts, Bob.

A LOT of penny's have been in books with retaining system not necessary made of the right materials - PVC being bad. I would have conserved to make sure that there are no contaminants on it and then have 

NCS send over to NGC for grading. Doing it in this way the coin should be at least guaranteed by NGC for 10 years for color changes within their holder and the coin will have no contaminants on it in the capsule.

Just my thoughts