• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1910 Indian Head

7 posts in this topic

Hi, sorry for all the questions. I have a few of these and took them to a coin store who said they’re real gold. I forgot to ask if they’re worth getting graded. This is the nicest one I have. 

01CE8343-6397-4028-9341-1CAC02E2276B.jpeg

92218082-1BBD-4F04-8581-EEED9093EA19.jpeg

It looks like there's an indentation over the "B" on the obverse, "E" on the reverse, and under the "O" on the reverse.  My guess is this was in a pendant holder at one point so it'd pull a Details grade.  

I wouldn't submit it for grading unless my observations based on the pics are incorrect.

33 minutes ago, B.L.21 said:

Thanks for the quick reply! Is it still worth the $400 per redbook? 

It's got about $155 of gold at current spot.  If selling I think I'd ask $325 but settle for anything over $260.

For reference, you could get a random "cleaned" version of this coin for $270 at one of the online retailers today.

1 hour ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

It's got about $155 of gold at current spot.  If selling I think I'd ask $325 but settle for anything over $260.

For reference, you could get a random "cleaned" version of this coin for $270 at one of the online retailers today.

Awesome, thanks again! Not wanting to sell. I recently inherited a ton of coins and currency and trying to learn more about some them.

No problem @B.L.21.....and welcome to the forums!

It's a nice looking coin even with the rim damage.  From the pics I'd guess lightly circulated so it's got a little history. 

I like to make up stories about them.  Minted in 1910 (worth roughly $77 adjusted for inflation)...sat in a bank most of the teens...swapped hands a few times during prohibition for stock purchases of alcohol between speakeasies & gangsters but mostly hung out in the "stash box"....came back out to circulation sometime in the 30's....got put in a pendant and given to a daughter prior to WW2 so she had a safety net for the future....taken out of the holder and sold as scrap gold in the late 60's.....etc... 

Unfortunately 'details' coins/former jewelry are a tough sell for much more than melt.  You would never get $325 for that coin I'm afraid to say since they can be bought at AU58 graded with no details at that price.  

These are beautiful coins though - my favorite design.