• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Red Book

32 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2023 at 1:35 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

After 1986/87...then you had all different number grades.  So any Red Book after 1987 should have more specificity though they may have continued the old format for a while (I have the 1970 Red Book besides the 2014 edition.

In the ENTIRE 1989 Red Book, no MS grades besides 60, 63 and 65 exist, and 63 only exists for modern coins. Classic coins end at 60. Remember, the book dated 1989 was being SOLD IN April of 1988, so the writing had to precede that. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/13/2023 at 6:22 AM, powermad5000 said:

I have one Redbook, and it is informative, especially for a new collector. It allows a collector to get familiar with different coins, different mintages, and "base" prices for coins listed in it. When it comes to price, though, it is merely only a guide. I use the term "base" when it comes to values listed because there are many factors involved in what the market price is for a particular coin : its quality, its eye appeal, its rarity and mintage number, its survivability number, the demand for a particular coin, its surface (whether or not it was cleaned or damaged). Right now, inflation is affecting coin prices. Also, coins at auction can go for substantially higher than even a dealer will charge as the bidders can get into bidding wars over certain coins while some auctions can end below Redbook prices if the coin does not garner much interest.

You may feel a dealer is overcharging for a coin, but they have to cover their costs and make some type of profit to keep their doors open. That is where your Redbook can come in handy if you are looking to buy from a dealer who actually IS overcharging by trying to sell a coin with high mintage for four, six, or sometimes ten times the Redbook value, it should be a red flag when buying from that dealer. You can establish a relationship with a dealer when you buy volume and pay cash from the same dealer helping move his inventory. Sometimes then, they will "cut you a deal" especially when you buy several coins at once. But, once again, you usually will pay the dealer asking price for quite sometime before that relationship is established.

If you use your Redbook as a guide, keeping in mind the situation you are making a purchase in (face to face, raw or slabbed, in person auction, internet auction, internet buy it now, etc.), the Redbook should serve its intended purpose. I tend to lean more towards internet price guides as they are updated frequently (sometimes weekly or in some cases daily as coins are graded by TPG's and bought or sold), but I do start my research on a coin that I fancy by looking it up in the Redbook first.

Thanks for the advice,I'll totally try to establish a good relationship with some dealers although some people it's quite controversial to engage with them and try to "bribe" them so to say.I remember having an assignment about the controversial speeches and how it's affecting our society.I've handled it pretty easy as I had some help from this team of pros  https://paperial.com/blog/controversial-speech-topics which helped me massively by searching for information and checking it.They prepared me in the best way possible.I hope it will help you as it helped me.

Edited by madyvoz