• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this coin the Greece 1930 20 Drachmai KM# TS28 Test Marks Coin? Is this a fake?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have the attached coin. Its definitely not silver. Looks brass. I was wondering if this is the Greece 1930 20 Drachmai KM# TS28 Test Marks Coin and if it authentic?

~ 10.5 gr
~ 28.44 mm

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

2019-04-10_00056.jpg

2019-04-10_00057.jpg

2019-04-10_00058.jpg

I agree that it has a brassy look. Is the difference in weight and evident composition your primary reason for thinking it's the trial piece? If so, it might be worth your effort to have a metal dealer do non-destructive assaying. This is that rare case where one is hoping it is not silver.

8 hours ago, JKK said:

I agree that it has a brassy look. Is the difference in weight and evident composition your primary reason for thinking it's the trial piece? If so, it might be worth your effort to have a metal dealer do non-destructive assaying. This is that rare case where one is hoping it is not silver.

JKK,

Thanks for your input. Does everything else seem right to you on the coin? I'll have the metal verified but before doing that I would like to know if there are other inconsistencies. Is it normal for test coins to have such bat detail in the lettering?

Thanks,

Aaron

1 hour ago, aaronmgd said:

JKK,

Thanks for your input. Does everything else seem right to you on the coin? I'll have the metal verified but before doing that I would like to know if there are other inconsistencies. Is it normal for test coins to have such bat detail in the lettering?

Thanks,

Aaron

Truth told, I have not seen enough examples of the real thing to say. I found only one, which looked fairly similar but is by no means itself guaranteed authentic. The lettering shows mechanical doubling, rather profound, which itself is so common it's not a collectible minting error. It is made more difficult by the tendency of modern Hellenic coinage to use typefaces that somewhat hearken back to old times, leaving one wondering as you do: is this how it's supposed to look, or should I diagnose this as a clumsy fake? In the end, until the metal test is done, it's hard to say. For your sake I hope it turns out authentic.

I would also think a poor quality fake.  I can't see a modern mint creating something with a date like what is on that piece.  Not to mention all the other problems.