• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982-S lincoln

9 posts in this topic

In that condition, it would be very hard to tell the difference, unless you were a Lincoln cent expert.

Interesting find.  Looks like someone busted up a proof set and spent the coins.(or at least, that one coin.)

I think it was below PF-40 or PF-45 that the grading rules cease to grade a proof coin on the proof grading track, and it reverts to the normal business strike track. That one might get PF-40.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, JKK said:

I think it was below PF-40 or PF-45 that the grading rules cease to grade a proof coin on the proof grading track, and it reverts to the normal business strike track. That one might get PF-40.

No, since that is a proof only issue as long as it can be identified as an 82-S it would get a PF grade.  Now with coins that come as both proof and business strike for the same year and mint once it wears enough that if can no longer be identified as a proof it would get the regular adjective grades.  Because after all if you can't identify it as a proof, how can you call it a proof? 

That's my point exactly. I know that it must be a proof coin but didn't they release a few '83-D zinc cents by mistake that year. What if this is a error as well. I really don't think so that's why I was curious if there was a way to tell. I really don't care of the grade just the oddity of it. Had it been any other year there I wouldn't question it. I have also found a '01 in circulation and do know that is a proof. Just a great topic for conversation! 

The '83D cents were copper plated zinc, so I assume you meant to say that the mint released a few bronze cents by mistake that year. There is a big difference in those two errors. One would involve a few left over planchets being accidently struck the following year. The other would require a mint employee creating a normal die, as opposed to a proof die, and striking a few business strike cents from it, or, at the very least,  striking a few coins on a normal planchet using proof dies before the proof die was polished and treated.